Kegging - Rookie Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billbob06

Reaction score
Kegged my first beer, a whiskey barrel stout, and followed the directions to a T. Beer was great, carbonation was good. My second, a vanilla porter. I guess I got too confident. I switched the gas and liquid posts on the corney keg after cleaning. In the process of trying to put the connector on the liquid side, with some force, I ended up breaking it. But I didn't stop there, I jacked around with the gas connector and now it leaks. After a bit of frustrating research, apparently there are notches on the gas connector because the two aren't interchangeable. I won't make that mistake again. Guess I'm headed to my HBS store tomorrow to buy new posts and connectors. I assume the beer will be OK. There is only a slight leak on the gas side. I turned it down to 5psi until I can replace it. Gas is cheap right? BTW, I poured a glass of the vanilla porter and it's fantastic. 2oz while kegging, extract.

I have a beer disconnect connected to a spare outlet on my gas bottle so I am able to do this. I am not sure where I read this but I heard that it is easier to force carbonate your beer using the beer post rather then the gas post. I have never really noticed a difference but never tried to compare either.

mamies said:
I have a beer disconnect connected to a spare outlet on my gas bottle so I am able to do this. I am not sure where I read this but I heard that it is easier to force carbonate your beer using the beer post rather then the gas post. I have never really noticed a difference but never tried to compare either.

It is true. Force carbing from the beer post introduces Co2 into the bottom of the keg. It's not wildly faster but every little trick helps.

Back