Starters and Farming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geltzeiler

Reaction score
Everyone seems to harvest from the yeast cake of a prior batch. Why not make a slightly larger starter and just save 10-20% of that to use for a future starter? It seems like that would be way easier. Has anyone tried this?

It's actually a fairly common practice, but for me since I started harvesting yeast I haven't had the need to make a starter so it's just easier for me to harvest at bottling time. Either one works just fine.

I did this once. I made a Graff a little bit back and I knew I wasn't going to harvest the yeast from it, so I made a larger starter and kept part to use later..

Thanks for the replies. If I were to take a small portion of a starter, put it in the refrigerator the use it a week later, is there a good way to estimate the number of cells left? Would a step up be needed if you started with, for example, 250ml of the original starter? Thanks again.

Yea you would defenitly want to make a starter again to get the yeast active. Check out mrmalty. It says there are about 4.5 billion cells per ml of yeast solid.

Back