Storing DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kblankenship11

Reaction score
I use light DME for my yeast starters. Since DME is so reactive to water I was wondering how some folks store it, as well as how long they keep it once it has been opened?

I buy 1 pound bags of light DME for starters and just tape it back up and store it in a ziploc bag until it's gone. I wondered what some other folks do with their DME for yeast starters. :mug:

For small bags like that a Ziploc is fine. I buy my DME in bulk so that gets thrown in food saver vacuum bags

I keep mine in a clear plastic screw top container similar to this this one and just keep it in the cupboard next to the flour and sugar

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ziplock'd mine and put it in the freezer next to my extra hops. Maybe that's overkill, but I've never had any problems w/ starters.

I keep mine in one of those ziplock "disposable" tupperware containers. I buy a big bag and it lasts a couple months with no problems.

Latest posts

Back