first mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielson

Reaction score
First time making a mead. I have 18 pounds of wild flower, was thinking of a semi sweet just plain honey for my first one. What would be a good yeast? Do I need any other additives? Thanks

You could do a 5 gallon batch with that. If you used lalvin 71b it should die off around 14% abv. So if you used maybe 15 or 16 pounds of honey you should end up with a nice semisweet traditional. You would want to add some acid blend, and some yeast nutrients prior to fermentation because honey is lacking in both those departments when compared to the wine grapes the yeasties are made for. Good luck!

Check out Bray's One Month Mead for a recipe that will be ready faster. Also, add acid blend after the ferment is over. Up front addition drops the ph too low and tends to cause stuck fermentations. Generally, I add potassium bicarbonate up front to buffer the ph and provide potassium which is limited. Definitely want nutrients added over the course of the ferment.

Thanks for the info, how much acid blend should I add?
You don't, well not before its fermented anyway.

Honey and water are plenty acidic enough as it is. There's no point in adding ingredients that could make that worse.

That's asking for a stuck ferment.

Add it to taste once its fermented and clear etc......

Latest posts

Back