Recipes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorklord

Reaction score
I just thought I'd share a couple quick recipes.

The first one is based on NB's AK47 pale mild. I used:

3 lbs Sorghum extract
.5 lbs Demerara ("raw sugar")
.5 lbs Brown Sugar
.25 lbs ‘darkish’ candi sugar (some leftover home-made candi sugar)
.7 oz East Kent Goldings (55 min)
.2 oz East Kent Goldings (15 min)
Spoonful of molasses
Yeast: Safale S-04
4 gallon boil, 5 gallon batch.

I forgot to add maltodextrin to this batch, it came out a little bit thin, I had intended to add 4 oz. If you are looking for a fairly light beer, you might be happy with 2 oz. Also, you could certainly steep some grains, or use a full pound of a dark candi sugar if you want a darker, more 'regular mild'.

The next recipe was a british bitter:

6 lbs sorghum extract
1 lb rice extract
Steeped 5 oz roast buckwheat for about 20 minutes
4 oz maltodextrin
1 oz EKG 60 minutes
1 oz EKG 1 minute
Yeast: Danstar Windsor

Now, with this batch, I steeped my buckwheat, and after I was done steeping it...to be honest, I felt like it had been a waste of time. The water was just cloudy and smelled faintly of roast buckwheat. I'm going to try this batch again, only using 1 lb of candi sugar instead of the rice extract and forgetting the buckwheat entirely, just to see what difference it makes.

The only other thing I want to try differently with this batch is to try using the S-04. I'm happy with the flavor of both of these beers, but the S-04 worked pretty fast on the pale mild, and made a very clear beer with a very good yeast cake.

Also, both of these batches were done with late-extract additions, which I think has made a very big difference in my brewing. Personally, I'm going to avoid boiling sorghum for an hour in the future...

Back