Ball lock vs pin lock kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmarshall

Reaction score
Did a search, but don't have the hang of it apparently. From threading I did online it would appear there are only two differences.... In a pin lock, it's had to switch the ports and screw stuff up, and parts are more readily available for ball lock. Any other differences? Given the apparent greater availability of ball lock parts it would seem that that is the more attractive option..... Thoughts?

I'd say ball locks are the standard. I use them. I think most people do.The keg dimensions are a little different. However, I would have no problem using pin locks if that was what was available. They are cheaper.

Pin locks are wider, meaning you cant have as many in a kegger/keezer per cu ft.. Ball locks are taller which usually doesnt matter you just have to build a collar. There are other differences but thats the bigest imo

The biggest difference is the heignt of the kegs. A ball lock with the fitting on is 26" or so tall. Depending on the pin lock model, it can be close, or even a bit taller.

I use all pin locks because they were cheaper. I have had zero problems with parts availability. They do have a slightly larger footprint, but my chest freezer is huge so I didnt care.

Latest posts

Back