Advice on tweaking an AHS recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewN00b

Reaction score
I ordered a recipe kit from AHS that I am thinking of experimenting with. I ordered, in addition to the other stuff I purchased, an AHS low-carb ale with Amylase enzyme as an addition. As it stands, the recipe seems to be 3lb of light extract and 2lb of corn syrup. I'm not sure of the hops included, but seeing as though it was formulated to be very neutral in taste I imagine it is not very hoppy at all. I understand it is meant to be the closest thing to a standard BMC, but in ale form.

Anyways, I was thinking of playing with this recipe as an experiment. For one, I've never used Amylase enzyme, but I understand what it does. I was thinking of maybe going away from the ale and into a lager, as my reading shows that lagering Amylase tends to clear up the nasty aftertastes of Amylase. I was also thinking of adding a specialty grain, maybe a pound of Crytal L90 for color, taste, and mouth feel. I was also thinking of hopping it up in one of two ways; a healthy dose of Noble hops for a crisp old world low-carb lager, or go new world, and make it a nicely hopped Stone Levitation-esque, hoppy, low-carb, session ale. Fact is, I'm not sure where I want to go.

What do you gents think? Has anyone tried this particular kit?

Edit: For an ale I would use some Nottingham, and for a lager I am not sure what I would want to use.

Well, adding speciality grains like Crystal will make it a no-longer low-carb beer, I think. As for ale vs. lager - you could ferment it as an ale, and then after bottling, lager the bottles for a month or two. As for adding more hops, my caution would be that you may end up making an unbalanced beer - this beer is a low-body, light beer, which wouldn't stand up to lots of hops.

On the other hand, its always fun to experiment!

Our Low Carb ale kit does not contain Amylase enzyme. Are you adding Amylase enzyme?

The kit is supposed to be for fans of Michalob Ultra.

Two guys (neighbors)came in the store. They wanted a beer their wives would drink. They thanked me saying they finally got some.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

Please use the words Austin Homebrew instead of AHS so that I can find the posts that I should respond to.

Back