determining grape variety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snpr13

Reaction score
My parents have a grape vine in their back yard that is close to 80-100 yrs. old. It is a red grape variety. Is there any way to help determine what variety it is. I live in Middlesex County NJ. We are told that many of the houses in the area at one time all had their own grape vine growing in their yards. The are was predominatley Eastern European.

You could contact a university that teaches viticulture. UC davis is the best known place in the US, they could probably ID it for you if you send them a photo of leaf and fruit.

From what I gather fruit varieties are generally 'mongrels' like dogs are. They cross breed to create different varieties, each with different traits. There are identification services online but they will tell you the nearest variety - you'd be better off making wine from them and adjusting to taste ;)

Can't guarantee this is the case for grapes specifically though...

Back