Fermentation temperature range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guttoc27

Reaction score
I understand about target fermentation temperatures, and how keeping a consistent fermentation temperature is important.

I'm curious, however, if there's a generally "acceptable" temperature range that fermentation can occur optimally at. Specifically regarding temperature "swings" within the active fermentation timeframe.

For example, "3-4 Deg. F swings during active fermentation are acceptable without noticeable effects," or "1-2 Deg blablabla."

Is there are generally accepted range that one can feel confident in?

Thanks!

guttoc27 said:
I understand about target fermentation temperatures, and how keeping a consistent fermentation temperature is important.

I'm curious, however, if there's a generally "acceptable" temperature range that fermentation can occur optimally at. Specifically regarding temperature "swings" within the active fermentation timeframe.

For example, "3-4 Deg. F swings during active fermentation are acceptable without noticeable effects," or "1-2 Deg blablabla."

Is there are generally accepted range that one can feel confident in?

Thanks!

Each different yeast has its own "sweet spot" for temperature. Sounds like you understand that.

As far as swings, I would say a few degrees is no big deal.

It is important to know which way the temperature swings. Going higher can result in off flavors. Going lower will likely just slow down the yeast.

Changing temperature a lot or very quickly can also shock the yeast which can stress them and cause off flavors.

If you use a swamp cooler, even passively, it will help a lot. When I say passively, I mean just put the fermenter in water to create an insulator with a lot of thermal inertia. You don't necessarily need to add ice to the water bath.

Back