Sort of a Mead question... Agave syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used it mixed about half and half with honey. It ferments dry like honey and leaves a decent amount of agave taste behind. I don't know if it would be too cider-y fermented on its own.

The big problem is it is even more deficient in nutrients than honey so I add extra nutrients at the normal three stages to help it ferment out properly.

Did a quick search online. Seems a lot of people use it in conjunction with honey. I'm sure it would turn out fine with just the agave, but man is that expensive! If you have the money to get the amount of agave needed for a straight agave mead then go for it. I'm sure it'll turn out well. As apache said though, just stick with the SNA schedule and it should ferment out just fine.

Since tequilla is made from agave, I wonder if an all agave wine would taste at all like tequilla. Could be interesting.

You might get some tequila-ish notes in there. Gotta figure that they ferment the nectar and then distill the end product. Though I suppose it would make for some cool labeling if you aged some on oak for a while. You could have a blanco, reposado, and anejo agave mead.

Back