First all grain brew via biab. mash ph?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veedo

Reaction score
after brewing 7-8 extract brews, i wanted to try something a little different, so i ordered up a few all grain kits from northern brewer, and am going to attempt my first biab session. i've been doing as much reading as i can on the subject and think i have all the hardware required, but i am a little worried about the water situation.

water seems to be a little more important when it comes to all grain, and i have never treated my water before. should i be concerned about my water, or just use what i have? i have used distilled/tap/and recently a local spring fed water supply. the ph on the spring fed is 8.3, with a total hardness of 220ppm (tested in the lab at work).

if there is anything else i should look out for before i jump into this, a heads up would be great. thanks for any input in advance, i realize there are a ton of topics on water, i am still trying to sort through them all and learn as much as i can.

edit: i have 3 northern brewer all grain kits on hand. the dead ringer ipa, caribou slobber, and cream ale. my brew kettle is a ten gallon mega pot style with a turkey fryer burner.

Hardness is far less a concern in brewing. Alkalinity is the primary concern. The pH of the water is a poor indicator of what the water's alkalinity is, so its pH is of little concern either.

Knowing the hardness of your water is helpful, but not the entire story. Hopefully you can obtain a more complete water profile analysis on your prospective brewing water. With that, you can better assess how the water will perform in your new endeavors in mashing. The Water Primer in the Brewing Science section of the forum is helpful. But to bring your water knowledge up, I suggest you download and read Bru'n Water.

Back