Leaking pop bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayworth

Reaction score
I normally use flip top bottles for my ginger beer, but with my recent batch I also put 2 litres in a plastic Pepsi bottle and used a cap from the local U-Brew store.

I've burbed the flip tops a few times already, but the plastic bottle is still soft. When I put my ear to the cap I can hear it fizzing, so I don't think the cap is sealing properly.

I tried this once before, and had the same problem, so this time I put some plastic film over the top before putting the cap on, and it still doesn't seem to work.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are the plastic store-bought pop bottles not resealable? Or are there different qualities of caps?

I wondered about getting some kind of improvised gasket material to use instead of the plastic wrap...

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

BTW, I'm in Canada, so I don't know if the bottles are a little different here than in the USA(?)

Anybody?

I normally use flip top bottles for my ginger beer, but with my recent batch I also put 2 litres in a plastic Pepsi bottle and used a cap from the local U-Brew store.

I've burbed the flip tops a few times already, but the plastic bottle is still soft. When I put my ear to the cap I can hear it fizzing, so I don't think the cap is sealing properly.

I tried this once before, and had the same problem, so this time I put some plastic film over the top before putting the cap on, and it still doesn't seem to work.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are the plastic store-bought pop bottles not resealable? Or are there different qualities of caps?

I wondered about getting some kind of improvised gasket material to use instead of the plastic wrap...

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

BTW, I'm in Canada, so I don't know if the bottles are a little different here than in the USA(?)

why didn't you just use the cap that cap from the pepsi bottle? It sounds like your cap doesn't fit the bottle, just use the one that came with it

the problem is that the pepsi, coke, ect. bottles dont get a very tight seal after the first time their opened kiwi because thats all the need to do

so im assuming thats why sayworth bought diffrent caps that maybe were supposed to fix this problem
i agree that it sounds like a leak in the cap but switching to the one it came with wont help

one solution is something like the the sigg waterbottle they cost more than a pop bottle but they are way tougher and seal better (when i go backpacking with my sigg water bottle sometimes will hiss when I open it because of the elevation change)

sigg claims
"A SIGG Bottle is your healthy and safe choice for your body. The baked-on, crack resistant bottle liner makes sure that you drink what you want to drink – and not unwanted chemicals. The SIGG bottle liner is leach-proof and resistant even to energy drinks, fruit acids and carbonation." http://www.sigg.com/sustainability/healthy-safe/

I have used 2 sigg bottles over the last 5 years(five very tough years) one got too dented and the interior chemical treatment started chipping off i discontinued its use but was not disappointed it denting after falling 5 to 20 meters is to be expected.

also I've used it to store hot hotchocolate, hot tea, iced tea(all the time), and water of course. The only part that takes on the flavor is the lid and thats replaceable. ive found it much better than a reusable plastic bottle and far better than a single use bottle.

you can reach me at [email protected]

ps i would love to see a picture of the caps you used (if they were different than the standard plastic bottle caps)

In the past few years, Both Coke and Pepsi moved to proprietary slimmer caps that use less plastic and save on packaging costs and weight. That said, the new caps are designed to be universal, but probably don't fit correctly on the newer designs from the big boys. Consider using an off-brand bottle and you may get a better fit.

or... as i said use the cap it came with. I do it all the time with out any problem. Hollowhead appears appropriately named since this is the first time he has ever posted and he is trying to sell something, not what this forum is for.

Back