Motorizing my mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick1903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Luke (not "Luke", should read "Would" damn predictive text on iPhone) I be crazy to try using a 1725rpm motor? Looks like I'd need a 1.5 drive and a 15" pully at the mill if I'm to end up around the 180 mark. It's a 1/6hp motor. Full frame.

What mill you running? I have a 3 roller on a 1/2hp. I can kill it if I want to on the unmalted adjuncts that I normally send through the corona mill first.

Sorry should have mentioned that. I'm currently running a barley crusher. The motor currently under consideration is an older full frame motor. I don't know what the torque is like. Are you suggesting it may not have enough gusto to do the job? I'd like to build in such a way that a mill upgrade would be as much of a plug and play swap in case I end up replacing the mill.

Not sure if this helps but horsepower torque wise it would work out to
T=P/(S/5252)=(1/6 HP)/(172RPM/5252) = roughly 5 ft*lb(f) torque
There would be some power loss of course from the use of the pulleys, belt, etc.

So how much force would you estimate it takes to turn the mill by hand, and how far is your hand from the center of the crank? i.e. if it estimating the hand is 6 inches from the center of the crank and it takes 10 lbs force to turn it by hand at a speed of about 3 revolutions per second then the motor would probably be a close match?

I'm use a furnace blower MTR 1/3hp. When I crush .035gap it needs a little tug sometimes to get going with a full hopper (sometimes not). It runs fine at .045gap (no tug needed) I'm using 14"to1/5" pulleys. If I used a bigger pulley it would hit the sides of my hopper. I have a little less than 100lbs torque going into the MM-3 with 1.5rollers. I get a little more power from using a big adjustable belt.

Back