Hops for a Belgian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendkyleanemail

Reaction score
So I have some T-58, and some pale LME. Figured I'd dust off the extract brewing skills ad make a Belgian IPA. I was inspired my Green Flash's Le freak. Any thoughts on hops?

I did some research on Stone's Cali-Beligique and a recipe out of Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing and ended up using Centennial, Saaz, and Liberty in the boil, and Chinook and Ahtanum for dry hopping. I was going for something more citrusy with the hops for dry hopping though.

Cali-Beligique has Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial hops. http://www.stonebrew.com/cali/

I don't quite remember what the Radical Brewing recipe had in it.

I'm making one at the moment. Tasting a sample after 5 days dry hopping.
Used Dana hops bittering, cascade at end of boil and dry hopping with cascade and nelson. Using T58 yeast and also poured in 1litre white grape juice. So far tasting great - the dana hops are sharp and citrusy, meld with the cascade, and i cant tell where the nelson ends and the grape juice begins. Got a nice acidic and tart white wineyness going on.

It's mostly a question of how much you want a West Coast IPA fermented with Belgian yeast and how much you want a Belgian Pale hopped at American levels. It's not necessarily an either/or question, but one of degree. C-hops for USA; Saaz, Styrian Goldings etc... for Belgium. I tried to emulate Achouffe (Amarillo, Saaz, CTZ) as best as I could with what I had when I made mine, using Centennial, Saaz and a little Nugget, which worked out nicely.

Yeah I think I am leaning towards an American (though perhaps not quite "West Coast" IPA fermented with the Belgian yeast.

I am liking the idea of bittering with some a bit more mellow...Styrian or maybe Perle as one person suggested, and doing some late boil and dry hop additions with some C Hops.

Something like:
Perle to about 50 IBU @ 60
Amarillo @ 15
Cascade @ 10
Dry hop with Chinook

I dry hopped a Belgian Blonde with Galaxy, it was amazing! The other hop additions were all European Saaz, and there was corriander in the mix too, so first a burst of fruity Australian hops, followed by a more traditional Belgian finish. Not for everyone, I'll garner, but I thought it was awesome!

Well, I decided to go with this:

Chinook @ 60
Amarillo @ 20
Chinook @ 15
Amarillo @ 5

1 ounce each.

I have about a month to decide what dry hips to use!

Latest posts

Back