Need help choosing first all grain brew recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun_Tiger33

Reaction score
Im planning on brewing my first all grain in the next few weeks and im trying to decide what i want to brew. I cant decide so i thought i would ask the experts. SOOO what should i brew? I am leaning towards a Hefe or a wheat beer like blue moon. if you have a recipe or link to recipe please feel free to share.

I'd do a SMaSH so you can get used to your equipment/process.

My first all grain was a Golden Promise + Amarillo SMaSH. Blew all my extract beers away, and things have only gotten better since.

Since most AG recipes have the same level of difficulty, brew what you want to drink most! It doesn't matter if it's a hefeweizen or a stout- all the grains get mixed together in the mash so it's not like one is more difficult than the other.

Well.... my first all-grain was a very, very tasty hefe pilfered from midwest supplies' website.

It's easy and it's super smooth and tasty.

5lbs of 2 row, 4lbs of american wheat, 8oz of carapils (they say for head retention), 1oz of tettnang(sp?) hops, and Danstar Munich dry yeast.

I just "rebrewed" that same recipe yesterday as it's been a few months since I drank the uber smooth hefe goodness.

I've jumped up to stirplates and liquid yeast, so yesterday's brew got innoculated with white labs #300 hefeweizen yeast. Gosh, it's aggressively fermenting today!

If you use this, dump the hops in at the first sign of a boil bubble during the boil.

Again, this recipe is very easy and tastes marvelous. Welcome to the madness!

Brew something that allows you to use ingredients that aren't available when brewing extract such as Rye(RyePA), Marris Otter(English Bitter), Oatmeal(Oatmeal Stout), Vienna(Oktoberfest). This will help you appreciate the all grain process since your beer will be different than anything else you that can get with extract kits, unless of course you shop through Northern Brewer who is now making a lot of these specialty grains into LME. With all grain though you get the opportunity to up the amounts used and don't have to stick with the 50/50 two-row/rye mixture they use.

Enjoy the process, it's not as hard as everybody makes it out to be!

Back