Color Question...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quarters

Reaction score
This is my 3rd batch of beer so I am still pretty new to this....

The batch I made is a Pale Ale. The only probelm is that it is any thing but pale. :mad: It is more of a Amber than anything.

I'm not sure if a did something wrong or if it will become more pale when I let it condition? It is on it's 2nd week of secondary fermentation. I have made sure that the temp. for fermentation is where it should be (64-74 degrees) I flowed the recipe to a t. So I don't think that's it but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure it is not a sanitation issue. I love me some star san sanitizer. :)

Here is what the recipe called for:

6.6 lbs of light malt extract
1 lb of crystal 20L malt

1 oz. of amarillo
1 oz. of strisselspalt
.5 oz. of saaz

wyeast London Ale lll # 1318
.5 tsp of Irish moss

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my thread. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. :mug:

The definition of "Pale" is something that is not black or nearly black. It can vary between very pale (like a light lager) to a deep copper color. If you are judging the color in the fermenter, then it will look a lot darker than when it is poured into a glass.

-a.

The definition of "Pale" is something that is not black or nearly black. It can vary between very pale (like a light lager) to a deep copper color. If you are judging the color in the fermenter, then it will look a lot darker than when it is poured into a glass.

-a.

+1. It will look a lot darker in the fermentor since it's a bigger volume.

it'll look a bit lighter in the glass.
also,as i understand it, extract will lead to some caramelization of the wort that will darken it up a bit; as oppossed to all grain.

on the other hand, most of the pale ales I've ever had are more copper/smber than yellow.

being pretty new, not unlike myself, I'd say don't fret over the color too much at this point. concentrate on making beer that tastes good.

Back