American Wheat Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KReardon99

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I brewed a batch of American wheat pale ale on Sunday. This is my second batch and I'm confused on whether to put an American wheat in a secondary.. I know it's supposed to be clearer than a hefe. I also wasn't sure if it being a pale ale made any difference. Thanks, Kurt

Secondary should help clear it out.(Although expect a little haze with a wheat ale) Were you planning on adding any other ingredients to the secondary?

No real point in secondary for this beer. If you really want a clearer wheat, just wait longer in primary and make sure to cold crash for a few days, or alternatively sit the bottles in the fridge for a week after they've conditioned.

Thanks for the advice.. I wasn't planning on adding anything this time. I think I'll just leave it in the primary for a few weeks. What exactly is cold crashing and what are the benifits? Thanks again

Cold crashing is just chilling your beer down to drop the yeast out of suspension as much as possible before racking. The colder (obviously not freezing), the better/clearer. For keggers, it is a moot point IMHO, as you will be chilling it down to serve anyway, and after the first pint or two, she is about as clear as it gets anyway.

Latest posts

Back