Honey VS LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapaddict

Reaction score
I am putting together a recipe and have a question about honey. What is the ratio for conversion of honey to LME? 1:1? As a general rule, is there a point where you can use too much honey in place or along with LME?

Honey is hard to predict, since it is rarely processed to a consistant standard. If you dilute one part honey with 3 parts water and take a gravity, you can work back to the sugar content.
All of the sugar in honey will ferment, unless the yeast dies first. Not so with LME.
Once you get close to half honey, you are brewing a braggot (bragot). This will taste a lot like mead. I wouldn't go over 1/4 honey.

The main thing to remember is that honey ferments out almost completely. The more you put in your wort the thinner your beer will get.

I did some comparisons with ProMash and it looks like they both create the same gravity in a 5 gallon batch.

If you used 6 pounds of pure honey (mead) your brew might finish under 1.000. If you used 6 pounds of LME it might finish in the 1.012 range. You will have to play with it to figure out how much to use. Maybe find a recipe that is close to what you want and see how it turns out.

Back