Building recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not even sure how to word this question, but is there a standard way to predict how much grain is required for a specific ABV? For example, if I knew I wanted to brew a beer that was 8% ABV but I wanted to play around with the grain profile, how would I know how much total grain to buy? Thanks to anyone who can help. Cheers!
:mug:
:tank:

Your brewing career will be much more simple and successful if you invest in a brewing software.

I use BeerSmith.

It will help you adjust gravity, color, IBU's, compensate for your efficiency, etc.

I wouldn't be without it.

haha, 3 posts all giving the same answer...I think you know what to do.

In any case. You CAN calculate it all yourself if you were that interested. I know that each grain type can attribute a certain amount of gravity to a brew. You would have to find all these values and you would be able to calculate from there. Beersmith takes out all this guesswork and makes it more fun and simple.

Back