Original Gravity in yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outbred

Reaction score
I made up a yeast starter last night for a belgian dubbel.

I winged it on the amount of malt extract to add because I couldn't get onto the internet.

I used an activator pack to pitch the starter after it had begun to swell slightly (4Hrs).

Today I came home from work and there was a no signs of activity. The yeast had settled on the bottom and although it looked like a good amount it was not very tightly packed.

I took a gravity reading and it came in at 1060.

Is it possible that the gravity is too high for the yeast to get a foot hold?

I put 2 cups of DME in 7 cups of water. Not sure if some fermentation has already taken place because I didn't take the OG.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I make my starters at 1.040 usually. That's 1/2 cup DME to one pint of water. Or one cup DME to a quart of water. So, that would be the same as 2 cups DME to 2 quarts of water (8 cups). So, you're not too much stronger than I make them normally.

Fermentation has not occurred yet. Swirl it up really well to resuspend the yeast from the bottom.

Latest posts

Back