MGD 64 - Impressive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcat Brewmeister

Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
... in that something that looks like water (actually very close to Bud Light color) actually has some flavor (unfortunately, and not surprisingly, that flavor is not so good). I thought it had a taste similar to weak Blatz.

I got these samples from a friend that thought I might like to try them for "research purposes". I was curious why a beer company would make such a product and was given a two word answer - Weight Watchers. Based on the point system the diet is based on, the lowest point beer on the market is Mich Ultra and it is 2 points. Although it varies, a typical dieter will get 20 to 30 points per day and it drops as you stay on the diet. You can see that beer doesn't fit well in that diet, even at 2 points a crack, thus the "need" for a beer that is only 1 point - enter MGD 64.

For kicks, I tried to figure out SG and FG given the calories and carbs. After calculating the alcohol content and verifying it by a few sources, I calculated the SG at 1.021 and the FG at 1.000 to 0.999 - extremely high attenuation (ADF 100+ and RDF in the 80s).

It's easy to calculate the FG, it's the SG that'd be trickier. Just drop the hydrometer in the beer glass.

Back