gutting a freezer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadpencil

Reaction score
I have a 5 cf chest freezer that will only hold two corny's and the co2 tank. Somehow when I built my bar I didn't measure right and the freezer can't slide in and out like I had intended.
My plan now is to gut the freezer, and build it into the bar. Giving me room for two more kegs and other refreshments.
I have seen this done before but of course I can't find the thread.
When I go to insulate can I use the pink foam from home depot or is there something better that I should use?
Do I need to insulate around the compressor or can I box it in?

Thanks.

What do you mean exactly by gut the freezer...most freezers require the outer skin to function and I can't imagine how you intend to disassemble one???

You mean take the compressor and coil out and put it into an insulated box? People do that with mini fridges but I don't think I ever saw someone take the internals out of a chest freezer.

Yes, the same thing that has been done to the mini fridge. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done.

Use the blue insulation board or get some styrofoam from a local craft store. The harder the styro the better it insulates. 2 inches all tound, good door seal and box the comp so it vents heat and noise out of the enclosure. Make sure if it has a condensor coil that it is exposed to a good flow of air to dissipate the superheat function of the refrigerant and your in Biddness. Be extramaly carefull witht he lines and pipes, most are made of aluminum and break like glass, so handle em easy. Depending on overall size 4 kegs, a medium bottle, hoses and regulator will fit nicely and you should be able to get lagering temps if your door seal is good and tight... So yup it will work just fine and do a great job. Used to do HARV and what you want is done all the time at high end bars and homes with excess cash. You can do it pretty cheap if you supply the laboor and di it all yourself.... Enjoy/
Wheelchair Bob

Yes, the same thing that has been done to the mini fridge. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done.

A mini fridge and a freezer are built differently...a mini fridge uses a heat exchanger grid unit attached to the back of the fridge that can easily be removed...a freezer uses thin tubing welded to the outer sheet metal box of the freezer that is incased in foam inslulation, it would be almost impossible to gut or disassemble a freezer and have it remain operable. If you have the ability to rebuild the heat exchanger after gutting the freezer, have at it, but that will not be easy or cheap! IMO, you would be far better off looking for a free or cheap mini fridge on craigslist rather than attempting a difficult and costly rebuild of an "old" freezer unit. My apologies if you have the skill set to do this...cheers!

While gutting the freezer, if you hear a hissing noise, that is the magic chilling vapor that is exiting the freezer rapidly leaving you with a 5 CF paperweight.

Thanks for the feedback, I don't think that a mini fridge would be large enough for provide enough cooling for the size.
If it is not possible with the freezer I suppose that I could buy a full size fridge and use the coil from that.

Man you are not takeing the easy route at all bro...most full size fidges rely an a fan to circulate the cold air and not a simple cold plate like a mini fridge...good luck in your quest!

I suggest don't try it. No really don't do it. I had the opportunity after hurricane Sandy to take apart a small freezer for fun and out of curiosity as it was totally submerged under water thus destroying it. I will tell you that after an hour of ripping foam and yanking the thin tube that if I wanted to consider putting it back together it would have taken days. So really if your freezer moves in and out with just a little effort, continue to do that.

I will have to do some rethinking on my freezer placement. It doesn't slide out the way I wanted because of the beer lines coming out of the lid.

Some pictures of what you have would help everyone to come up with suggestions. I'm sure there is an easier solution then tearing the freezer apart.

Back