how long on fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I moved 5 gallons of wild flower mead into secondary on the 27 of sept. The must went into 1 gallon carboys, one of which I crushed and strained a pound of black berries, and another raspberries then added a campden tablet to them. By my count thats two weeks on the fruit, how long should I wait befor I rack off the fruit?

here's a shot for your views pleasure
DSCN2065.JPG

I've left mead (melomel) on the fruit for as long as 6 months with no problems. I'd leave it at least 1 month before racking off the fruit. Regards, GF.

Unfortunately, I've had some batches develop sulfur odors when left on fruit, and with berries, I've also had them pick up bitterness from the seeds. So I usually rack them off as soon as I feel the fruit has given up most of what it has to give. That's typically when the berries look bleached out. Generally that will be somewhere in the range of 7-14 days.

Medsen

Well I crushed the berries in a zip lock back then strained them so that the seed and skins were mostly left behind so I'm hoping to avoid the bitter tanins. I guess I'll shot for the middle of the road and give them another week.

I consider a couple factors with fruit additions. The type of fruit and how it was prepped. The firmer and the more whole the fruit is the longer I figure it may take. Generally for me about two weeks. I may look in on it every week or so but I try and forget about it for the first two weeks. If it needs longer I come back a week later. Mead loves patience.

-cheers

Back