Ingredient Kit Suggestions Wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
Hi all,

As I'm sure you've guessed, I'm just starting out. I have read about and found tons of on line suppliers. I would like some recommendations about beer ingredient kits that you have used that turned out well. There are so many suppliers and kits to buy I do not know where to start.

Here is a list of beers that I would like to start with. I am including a commercially brewed example, just so you know what I am shooting for.....only better.

1. IPA - a big hoppy beer but I would like it not to be overly bitter
I like Sweetwater IPA and Stone IPAs - Dogfish seems a little bitter to me
2. Lager or Ale - rich smooth taste for SMBO but she is not a Bud or Miller girl. Sam Adams Boston Lager or Kona Longboard Ale
3. A Mexican Amber - something like Dos Equis Amber

Beirmuncher's Kona Fire Rock Clone is my ultimate goal but I might try a kit first. Thanks for your suggestions.

Midwest Homebrewing also has a bunch of kits. I haven't actually used any of them, but they seem solid.

My first brew was a Brewer's Best American Micro-style Pale Ale.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I appreciate the replies. I didn't want to sped all the time waiting for the beer to ferment and condition, only to find out that the kit wasn't the best.

Carbon111, I saw the Austin Home Brew clones. It's good to hear that they are good kits.

Oh boy it's hard to remember. Stella and Ommegang clones were stand outs. I know we made a couple other clones but I can't remember which ones. I've made a lot of beer in the last 5 years and many of them run together in my head.

We've made a promotional amber and a choc raspberry stout that were fantastic and great buys. We've made a half dozen of his other beers including some a couple of his 50 cent per beer kits. Don't think that just because the price is low that it isn't quality ingredients.

We usually make the kits at our brew buddy's house so I don't have the list in front of me but we've only had one that didn't come out good and that was our issue not the kit's issue.

We do all grain at our house and I usually make those recipes up from scratch.

Hi all,

As I'm sure you've guessed, I'm just starting out. I have read about and found tons of on line suppliers. I would like some recommendations about beer ingredient kits that you have used that turned out well. There are so many suppliers and kits to buy I do not know where to start.

Here is a list of beers that I would like to start with. I am including a commercially brewed example, just so you know what I am shooting for.....only better.

1. IPA - a big hoppy beer but I would like it not to be overly bitter
I like Sweetwater IPA and Stone IPAs - Dogfish seems a little bitter to me
2. Lager or Ale - rich smooth taste for SMBO but she is not a Bud or Miller girl. Sam Adams Boston Lager or Kona Longboard Ale
3. A Mexican Amber - something like Dos Equis Amber

Beirmuncher's Kona Fire Rock Clone is my ultimate goal but I might try a kit first. Thanks for your suggestions.

You'll be able to do that with a kit, but I wouldn't take on a lager until you get some ales under your belt. They're more forgiving.

A Hefe or an Irish Red would be a GREAT starter.

Now, I opened my first bottle of Patersbier from Northern Brewer. YUM!

Northern Brewer - Extract Ale Recipe Kits

Back