Sake really starchy rice taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porcupine73

Reaction score
Hm this bottle of sake has a really starchy taste. It's my first sake brew. I think I left it in primary too long. This bottle also has all the 'settlings' as I squeezed the cheesecloth to wring out the rice curds. I think that's the source of the starchy taste. I tried it over ice but ugh that was even worse. I might try some warm, supposedly that makes poor tasting sake taste ok.

It's not terrible. Hopefully aging a little on the other clear bottles will be good. Phew the alcohol level though - it's right up there, very strong indeed. mmm perfect for Friday ...

Ahhhh ok I just watched the straw as I drank it out the bottle through a straw. It is the sediment that has the starchy taste. If I drink it really slow and don't suck up any sediment it tastes amazing and delicious. As soon as any of the cloudy sediment gets in the straw b l e c h starchy.

Sake1.jpg

Back