Question about OG levels on Brewer's Best Weizenbier kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cullenhoglund

Reaction score
**(This is my first post and I apologize for the length, I just wanted to try to include all necessary information to make answering my question as easy as possible.)

Hello, I just finished brewing my first batch. I chose to start with the Brewers Best "Weizenbier" kit. The kit estimates that the OG should be in the 1.047-1.051 range. The FG should be within 1.011-1.015 range. The ABV should be 4.5-4.75%.

I followed the instructions included in the kit and the recommendations from the book "Home Beermaking" by William Moore very closely. I used an auto siphon to siphon the roughly 2.5 gallons of wort from my kettle to the fermentation bucket. I then added water to bring the wort up to 5 gallons.

I took two gravity level readings with my hydrometer before and after thoroughly stirring and shaking the brew. Both readings were at 1.041, (I am confident that these readings were correct) so about .006 lower than the low end of the estimated range of OG.

I do not wish to alter the wort at this time. My intention is to see this through as a learning experience. So finally, my question is:

Typically, if an OG reading is lower than expected what effect does this have on the FG? Will this most likely cause a lower FG reading or a higher one?

It is my understanding that if the OG is lower than the estimated range, (such as 1.041 in this case vs. the estimated 1.047-1.051) and the FG is ALSO lower, (such as 1.005 vs. the estimated 1.011-1.015) the ABV (approximately 4.73%) should still remain within the intended range (4.5-4.75%).

Conversely, if the FG falls ABOVE the estimated range (for example 1.021 vs. 1.011-1.015) the resulting ABV (approximately 2.63%) would be significantly lower than the intended range.

Which of these scenarios, if either, is more likely?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond to these questions. I look forward to some helpful suggestions.

What was the temp. Could have been really hot wort when you took the reading. If not your close enough. Maybe the final reading will be a little lower then your all set.

The reading will only make the alcohol % lower. Everything will be fine. It will bubble away like crazy and have a good tasting beer.

Latest posts

Back