What's wrong with my goldings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
I thought I might be watering them too much, but have given them a day or two to dry out, and all of my other hops don't seem to be having this wrinkly leave issue. What could cause this?

e7cee4b3.jpg

I'm not sure if it's a bugs/grubs/disease/mildew? It looks like it's spreading to my zues hops as well. I gave them some water and some miracle grow today to hopefully turn things around....

Do the leaves feel sticky, like they are coated with a light bit of honey? Could be aphids.

Here is a good handbook that may help in finding out what the issue could be.

Thanks...I'll dust them with a bit of seven to see if that might bring them around...I haven't seen any bugs on them though?

Thanks for the resource too...

It's hard to say ...if chems were used, they could do that ..or it could be a zinc deficiency:

"Leaves are small, misshapen, yellow, curl upward, and can become brittle (Fig. 213). In severe cases affected plants may die. Zinc deficiencies occur frequently when soil pH is greater than 7.5"

"Excessive phosphorous fertilization may induce zinc deficiencies, particularly inalkaline soils or soils otherwise marginally deficient in zinc."

Just a couple thoughts.

I have been using the miracle grow fertilizer on them...could be the phosphorous...I'll give them a break from that for a water and see if they rebound....

I can't be positive, but it looks like aphid to me. They can be really hard to see sometimes because they are small and the same color as your hops. They like to hang out on new tender growth. Then when they suck on it it grows all deformed, very similar to what your condition looks like. Did the leaves just recently acquire the leaf curl? Or have they had it for some time now?

I can't be positive, but it looks like aphid to me. They can be really hard to see sometimes because they are small and the same color as your hops. They like to hang out on new tender growth. Then when they suck on it it grows all deformed, very similar to what your condition looks like. Did the leaves just recently acquire the leaf curl? Or have they had it for some time now?

It's been like that for a few weeks now. Stopping the fertilizer hasn't really helped. I'm going to dust it with some sevin to see if that brings it around today...

Back