What is it and how do I fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
White dots all over the leaves, and they're turning yellow/brown.

ForumRunner_20110519_182158.jpg

sounds like spidermites to me too, Pluck an infected leaf off the bine and inspect the underside of the leaf you can just barely see the mites crawling around with the naked eye if you got a magnifing glass use that. and Ladybugs dont work for spidermites but there are other bugs that do if you want to keep it pesticide free. Lacewings are one predator of SM.

I got rid of spidermites with a solution of water, olive oil virgin tablespoon and regular dish soap tablespoon applied through a 32 oz spray bottle to the undersides of the leafs. the solution did cause a few burn spots on the leafs but the mites were gone and the leafs healed themselves.

I've been spraying the bine with some Doktor Doom pesticide, but it's been raining on and off constantly for the last two months, so I have to go back out and re-apply it in the morning whenever it storms.

And now my leaves seem to be doing worse since spraying them. More appear to be wilting, there have been webs built since I sprayed, and I also see large chunks missing from upper leaves like a bird or something has been eating them.

How long after killing the mites does it take for the hops to heal the existing damage?

The two Perle shoots are doing great, on the other hand.

The affected leaves will not "heal themselves" They will either continue on looking the same, or eventually yellow->brown->fall off. The newer leaves and the elimination of new damage or spreading of damage is all you can do.

The affected leaves will not "heal themselves" They will either continue on looking the same, or eventually yellow->brown->fall off. The newer leaves and the elimination of new damage or spreading of damage is all you can do.

Ah, I asked because RustyMusket mentioned his hop leaves healing.

the solution did cause a few burn spots on the leafs but the mites were gone and the leafs healed themselves.

So the drill here is, keep applying the doktor doom every time it rains, and every 7 days otherwise?

So the drill here is, keep applying the doktor doom every time it rains, and every 7 days otherwise?

Did anyone actually identify the cause of the problem? It may just be a minor virus problem, in which case no matter what you spray won't work.

I love the "Doktor Doom" product to death though!

Did anyone actually identify the cause of the problem? It may just be a minor virus problem, in which case no matter what you spray won't work.

I love the "Doktor Doom" product to death though!

Well, there's a bunch of webbing now. I've not actually seen the mites, but I'd say the web means I've got mites.

Unfortunately I may be looking at something else too, as I see large chunks missing from the upper leaves. I'll get a picture when I get home today.

Sounds like what you got. Take a leaf and shake it over a white piece of paper. The mites fall off and when you rub your hand across the paper you smash them and they magically appear as little streaks on the paper. Kinda neat and also a good way to check if you don't eat a lot of carrots.

I had the same problem and I kept spraying with Ortho vegetable isecticide from Lowes. They actually multiplied. What I found after reading about spider mites, is that they do develop an immunity to most non-commercial grade pesticides. Predator mites work well however they are expensive and probably not worth it unless you have a very large hop garden. I don't have access to any commercial grade pesticides and read on here that you can get much cheaper and safer alternatives. I used dish soap mixed with water and got under every leaf. You have to keep after them for a little while daily for 7-10 days to break their life cycle and get the hatchlings.

beerloaf

I had the same problem and I kept spraying with Ortho vegetable isecticide from Lowes. They actually multiplied. What I found after reading about spider mites, is that they do develop an immunity to most non-commercial grade pesticides. Predator mites work well however they are expensive and probably not worth it unless you have a very large hop garden. I don't have access to any commercial grade pesticides and read on here that you can get much cheaper and safer alternatives. I used dish soap mixed with water and got under every leaf. You have to keep after them for a little while daily for 7-10 days to break their life cycle and get the hatchlings.

beerloaf

Yeah, I have all of two rhizomes. So just regular dish soap under every leaf finally got rid of your mites?

? im lost what does eating carrots have to do with it B-Hoppy? Did i miss something. lol

It's an expression meaning your eyesight is bad.

My ex girlfriends parents had a greenhouse. When they got spider mites they used either soapy water or pepper spray. I cant remember how to make the pepper spray but it was homemade not personal defense.

My ex girlfriends parents had a greenhouse. When they got spider mites they used either soapy water or pepper spray. I cant remember how to make the pepper spray but it was homemade not personal defense.

I'm gonna give that a shot. Maybe you can just blend up some habanero peppers and steep in water? Except the pepper compounds are oily and water probably isn't going to leach out too well. Maybe combining the soap with the peppers so the oil has something to bind to? I've also heard garlic works well. Maybe a garlic, pepper, soap trifecta?

Have you tried Neem oil? Make sure to spray under the leaves and the soil at the base of the plant and repeat a week later to get any that hatched from eggs you missed.

If you are not gungho organic, head to Home Depot and get a miticide. It is specifically designed for killing mites.

You may just be fighting these things all summer if a neighbor has an infestation and is not taking action.

Have you tried Neem oil? Make sure to spray under the leaves and the soil at the base of the plant and repeat a week later to get any that hatched from eggs you missed.

Haven't tried Neem oil yet. Maybe I need to be spraying the Doktor Doom into the soil below the plant as well.

If you are not gungho organic, head to Home Depot and get a miticide. It is specifically designed for killing mites.

Well so is the Doktor Doom but I'm not seeing great results. I guess the problem is the mites can develop immunity.

You may just be fighting these things all summer if a neighbor has an infestation and is not taking action.

*sigh* I suppose so, but I'm optimistic since my other bine hasn't been infested yet.

Wow. It's getting worse. I went outside to re-apply the Doktor Doom after the storm this morning. Most of the lower leaves are turning dark brown and falling off. The upper leaves which looked healthy before are starting to die too.

On the other hand, the bine is putting out brand new leaves in places where the dying ones are.

Should I just remove the unhealthy leaves so it has more energy to put out the new ones?

My Nugget bine is nowhere near as long, but still doing great. Two very healthy shoots with gigantic leaves. Still, I gave it a spritz from the doktor doom as a preventive measure.

I'm gonna pick up habaneros, garlic, some unscented dish soap, and a garden sprayer today. Finally make that pepper spray that seems to work so well for everyone.

You may want to remove the mulch from around your plants. It gives them somewhere to hide and spider mites like a dry, warm place to hang out.

It also makes my beds a lot prettier and keeps the lawn from growing into it... Maybe I can push it all to the edges.

Back