roommate froze my rhizomes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeerNerd

Reaction score
I was just out of town for a few days and was expecting my new rhizomes to show up. Told him to put them in the fridge if they came.
He put them in the freezer! (Because that's where I keep hops)
They were frozen for about 2 days. I'm not holding out much hope. Is it worth it to plant them, or are they good as dead?

Plant them, mine sit in the ground through out an IL winter. What's the worst that could happen, they don't grow? Better then tossing them in the garbage where they won't grow. At least in the soil they have a chance.

They're the cockroaches of the plant kingdom. (Hard to kill, I mean... well, and bitter. Ever bite into a cockroach? But I digress.)

sounds like it's time for a new roommate! i'm with everyone else. if you don't plant them, you'll never know. you could always contact whoever you got them from and explain the situation. maybe they'll send you some for a discount.

OK, I just planted them... Hallertau and Columbus... we'll see what happens... on a brighter note... 2 weeks ago I planted Fuggle and Cascade that I got from my brewing buddy, and the Fuggle is starting to show signs of life!

Nothing yet... to top it off the fuggles and cascade i planted before the frozen ones aren't coming up either :(

The one year I tried growing hops, mine got placed (by SWMBO) on the top shelf of the fridge at the back. It was cold enough there to freeze them. I planted them and nothing grew.

Not saying the same will happen to you, but that's my story....

I live in Minneapolis and grow three varieties of hops. They are chillin in the ground throughout the whole winter. Some people dig up and break off rhizomes for other people and it's recommended I believe to put them in the freezer for long periods of storage. No worries. Put em in the ground and grow them. It's a beautiful plant.

Salute!

When you pulled them out of the freezer if they felt soft and squishy softer than a boiled potato then they aren't coming back. If they still felt firm and woody then you might be ok.

Back