Pine Needles for mulch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTOLERANCE

Reaction score
Recently, I stopped out a local micro brewery to look at their hop trellis.

I was surprised to see long pine needles completely covering thier rows under the trellis. The pine needles from some trees, keep weeds and grass from growing under the trees. I assume this is a designed feature or the tree to keep its water and soil to itself. The decaying needles are acidic, keeping unwanted platlife away.

Which begs the question...."Why doesnt it affect the hop plants?"

IF it truly doesnt affect the hops, this would be a great material for mulch, as there wouldnt be any plant life competeing for water and nutrients. Plus they would be free, as they are everywhere.

DO the hops like slightly acid soil? Does it improve the character/bitterness of the hops? Soulds like a great idea. If a local micro-brewery is doing it, got to be some sound science behind it.

I think mulch in general keeps weeds down, bark, pine needles, wood chips... the main reason it isnt an issue for the hops is because by the time the needles are put there the hops are well established and not much is going to stop them.

Hops like mildly acid soil. Pine needles might be overdoing it. I've certainly had trouble with my soil, which was a Douglas Fir forest for generations. I'm mulching with hay this year, trying to keep the weeds down and give the surface roots a better environment.

In NC that's called "Pine Straw"...:D

Yea we call it Pine Straw too. We also water our hops with a 'hose pipe'!

I'm under the impression that hops prefer slightly alkaline soil. I've seen contradictory information on this, but the 'grow' material I've read seems to favor alkaline over acidic soil. Having said that I would not use pine needles/pine straw to mulch with. I'm pulling the the pine bark mulch away from some of my plants this fall. I'm so concerned about the acidity of the soil at my folks place we're going to work some lime into the soil to bring down the acidity. Acid loving plants like Azaleas can't get enough pine straw, it's also a reason you so often see them planted under pines in the south... think Augusta National.

Schlante,
Phillip

I've seen slightly acid to slightly alkaline (pH 6-7.5 per the Oregon Hop Commission).

I've seen slightly acid to slightly alkaline (pH 6-7.5 per the Oregon Hop Commission).

That's what most of what I've seen also list the ideal at, however i've seen some general indication that 7-8 is best, or more alkaline than acidic. I combine this with the experience that I've grown hops in both and at least in MS they do better in neutral-alkaline soil. The greater point is that pine needles add a substantial amount of acid to the soil so know the soil before you go to putting them down. Ultimately just do what works!:D Let me also say that I'm 100% positive the OHC knows EXACTLY what they're talking about. I'm not arguing just relaying a slightly different perspective from experience and a little reading.

Maybe the soil was too alkaline and this was their natural approach to amending teh soils.

Good point!

Schlante,
Phillip

I think mulch in general keeps weeds down, bark, pine needles, wood chips... the main reason it isnt an issue for the hops is because by the time the needles are put there the hops are well established and not much is going to stop them.

I agreee mulch will help keep weeds down, but wood or bark mulch also retains moisture, and possibly could allow mold/mildew to grow, affecting your plants. I dont see that happening with pine needles.

I am going to go and ask them next time I am out there, as to why they used the pine needles.

Yea we call it Pine Straw too. We also water our hops with a 'hose pipe'!

I'm under the impression that hops prefer slightly alkaline soil. I've seen contradictory information on this, but the 'grow' material I've read seems to favor alkaline over acidic soil. Having said that I would not use pine needles/pine straw to mulch with. I'm pulling the the pine bark mulch away from some of my plants this fall. I'm so concerned about the acidity of the soil at my folks place we're going to work some lime into the soil to bring down the acidity. Acid loving plants like Azaleas can't get enough pine straw, it's also a reason you so often see them planted under pines in the south... think Augusta National.

Schlante,
Phillip

Is the pine bark increasing the acidity of your soil? Is using lime in line with organic gardening?

I think I am going to test the acidy of the soil where I wil be growing hops this coming year.

Pine needles add some acidity to the soil but if the soil is rich in limestone the soil will not become acidic. Since limestone continually leeches out of many soils they will not become acidic. If you have an area of old growth pines, then over time the soil will become more acidic. Also the soil under pines trees is just rotted pine needles, thus acidic.

Back