my babies are growing up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
100_1753.jpg

100_1754.jpg

100_1755.jpg

they grow up so fast( sniff sniff tear in eye)
wide array between lush cones, and new flowers. Looking to have an immense crop this year. and probably a 2-3 stage harvest. Will probably have more than i can use(never thought id say that)

well depending on elevation urs should be starting soon id think(well that ans species) my buddy who has 7 new plants is just starting to get flowers right now. he only lives 25 min from me but is substantially higher elevation. patiance they will get there

Nice. Mine just started flowering about a week ago. This is my first year growing hops. Will all those flowers turn into cones?

Awesome, I can't wait to use my first home grown hops. How do you all go about estimating IBUs etc. when using homegrown hops since the AA % isn't available?

Regarding AA%, generally, shoot for the middle of the range of what's expected from that hop: e.g., Cascades tend to be between 6-8%, I'd guess that mine are about 7% AA. Not perfect science by any means but it beats sending them in for costly lab work. Some would say that homegrown tend to be on the high side of the AA scale due to more care in harvest and drying and storage but a lot depends on how patient we are before we pick...

You can get fancy by brewing hop tea from strains with known AA levels and then mimic the process for your homegrown ones and compare bitterness and "guesstimate" that way but that seems a like too much trouble to me.

Ditto.
I think it's fair to punch into a calculator a middle number.
Having said that, I've bought store bought hops and compared them to my home grown and I think my hops gave a bit more of everything; alpha, aroma, flavor. My brewing buddies tend to agree.

At our club meetings we have a math /beer nerd who says he wouldn't use my hops because he can't figure out IBU.
He was drinking one of my beers and enjoying it. He asked me what's in it and said, "Doesnt matter. I used home grown hops, you could never make this with store bought."
:)

Good tips. I have Cascades. I might want to use them in an IPA, but wasn't sure how to guesstimate what they might contribute. I guess there is only one way to find out, use them and not worry about it. Also, I noticed my only seem to be flowering towards the top of the vines, is that normal?

Regarding AA%, generally, shoot for the middle of the range of what's expected from that hop: e.g., Cascades tend to be between 6-8%, I'd guess that mine are about 7% AA. Not perfect science by any means but it beats sending them in for costly lab work. Some would say that homegrown tend to be on the high side of the AA scale due to more care in harvest and drying and storage but a lot depends on how patient we are before we pick...

You can get fancy by brewing hop tea from strains with known AA levels and then mimic the process for your homegrown ones and compare bitterness and "guesstimate" that way but that seems a like too much trouble to me.

a lot of work, not to mention less hops around to go in the beer!

Latest posts

Back