Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > lateral arms growing like crazy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
ForerunnerBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default lateral arms growing like crazy

I planted some rhizomes recently.

The shoot (where the leaves bud from) of the top of my Cascade bine popped off in a recent storm and since then it has sent out a bunch of lateral shoots that have gone out all the way down the 3.5' stalk. I trimmed the bottom ones since eventually I plan to snip off the bottom leaves to keep insects off. I was thinking of pruning the rest of them except for the strongest ones or the top ones to save the energy for growth. I think if I don't then this bine will be sucking alot more energy to power 6 bines from 1 stalk. And the rest of the plant might suffer.

-Should I keep the laterals to a minimum or would it be good to keep them and train some of them on another rope?

Here is what I am calling laterals:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Thanks everyone!

-John

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 238

I would let the upper ones grow and try to train them to your strings. If the lower ones begin to create a problem near ground level you can thin them out. At this point they are just acting as vegetative shoots. Sure they are utilizing energy to continue to grow, but the additional foliage they produce will help create an excess of energy that will be sent to the crown. A good thing for establishment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply