New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > I (Too) found wild hops!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
grant-robison
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I (Too) found wild hops!

Even here in Oklahoma, where as far as i know no one has ever in their craziest dreams thought of producing hops. I'm a student at the University of Tulsa and I checked in the Herbarium to see if there were any collections and sure enough there were. It took me about an hour before i found this stand of decent size. I plan on harvesting as much as i can when they are ready and titrate the Alpha Acid content (anyone can do this without a lab, although as a new graduate student i have access to stuff that makes it easier).

Then i'll use them in a beer! As a late addition, but in grotesque quantities. I'll be keeping everyone posted.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Your pictures aren't too clear but it looks like what you found may be Humulus Japonicus. Check it out on the web as I'd hate to see you go through the effort on a lost cause. Could be wrong, been there before though~

"Neil & I would've tweeted from the moon if we could have but I would prefer to tweet from Mars. Maybe by 2040" ~ @TheRealBuzz, Buzz Aldrin 11:20 PM - 04 Jan 13

Old 09-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
grant-robison
Recipes 

Yeah I thought the flowers looked funny... At first i thought they were just immature cones of H.lupulus, but now i suspect that they are indeed H. japonicus.

Quick Reply