Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hops varieties and recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
sashurlow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Hops varieties and recipes

I have a Centenial and a Mt Hood (and Teamaker) hops plants. When I look at recipes, I rarely see on of my varieties. Can I substitue my hops for what the recipe calls for? What kind of beer is best for those varieties?
A little background. I have only brewed cider and wine. I want to start brewing beer eventually but would really love to use my own hops.
Thanks,
Scott

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 987 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 2053

The Centennial is a great hop for hoppy American ale styles, like American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, and American IPA. It gives good bittering and if used late in the boil and dry hopping will give strong citrus and grapefruit flavor and aroma.

Mount Hood is a lower alpha acid (less bittering) hop whose heritage comes from the noble, European hops, if I'm remembering right. It is a 'clean' hop, good for lagers or less bitter beers like cream ales or blond ales.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
nagmay
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer:
Both home and commercial brewers substitute hops all the time. However, there is a lot to consider.

a) Substituting bittering hops - early in the boil - you need to calculate the amounts based on difference in AA%

b) Substituting dry hops - in the carboy - you need to pick hops that have similar flavors.

c) Substituting aroma hops - late in the boil - you need to factor in both a and b.

There are lots of charts available concerning substitutions: http://www.rooftopbrew.net/?page_id=239

For instance, Centennial is sometimes described as "super cascade". Adjusted properly, you can use it in recipes that call for Cascade.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Grantman1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Like pappers said, Mt Hoods are more often used for lagers and ales with mild hop character, but I like Mt Hoods in combination with other hops in American pales and IPAs as well. I bet combining the centennial and mt hood would make for a tasty brew in those styles.

You can get pretty versatile with what you've got so far, and you'll be in good shape once you figure out what styles you want to make.

Quick Reply