Hops stopped growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartlbee

Reaction score
I decided to try my hand at hops this year, and planted 4 plants in my raised beds that get 11 or so hours of sun a day. I gave the new plants partial shade for 2 weeks and then let them go. The one plant that was doing really well has stopped growing while the other three have continued to do well. The bad one has leafs that are turning brown int he very center, and are generally not as dark as the others. I water the plants every 3 days and have not fertilized. Can anyone suggest what may be wrong with this one plant? Thanks!

Taking into consideration you have not fertilized and not knowing your soil conditions when they first went into the ground I would suspect a nutrient deficiency of some sort. Prob nitrogen if you lost some color. I'd hit it with some fish emulsion and see how she responds. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did turn my soil while mixing in organic mushroom compost before planting, I will try what you suggested, hopefully it's not past th point of no return. Thanks for the reply!

You'd be surprised how hardy they are, so I bet you'd be good with a little TLC. Check back with your results too. Always interested in how potential problems work out.

I just gave them some Alaskan Fish fertilizer. I currently have mulched grass over them, what are the general thoughts on this? In Denver we are generally betwee 85-95 every day during the summer, and I was told that the roots like to keep cooler. Is it a better idea to abandon the mulch and rig up some shade for the lower portion of the plant? For first year hops what kind of watering schedule should I be on?

Mulch is what you want to not only help with moisture loss but also to aid in keeping the soil cooler on those hot summer days. I go with dye free woods chips. As far as watering first year plants, poking your finger into the soil a few inches down, I believe, is the best method of learning when to water smaller crowned plants. If the soil feels damp and sticks together, don't water. If dry and crumbles when pressed, time for a drink. In time you get a sense of plants watering needs to your climate and time of year

Drip Systems are optimal for Hop Gardens.
Also....Your Hops will stop growing when they hit their full height and start putting out sidebars.

As the grass decomposes it really heats up. Can heat the soil up to the point of evaporating moisture instead of keeping it in. I would go for a pine mulch or equivalent.

Also around this time of year mine will stop growing vertically and start branching out horizontally in preparation for cone production.

So far no luck rehabilitating the hop plant. It may be under watered as the leafs are drying out and crumbling.

Never use wood chips or woody based mulches in a vegetable garden. Microorganisms attempting to breakdown the tough woody cellulose will actually deplete nitrogen reserves in the soil and or bind them making their accessibility difficult for the plants you are trying to help. Build up organic matter in your garden soil gradually with generous leaf compost and peat. Well balanced soil does not need to be "mulched". Save the mulch for around your trees and your ornamental flower beds. Grass clippings are ok to spread around, but no more than an inch thick or they get too hot!

When ONE plant out of a few is doing poorly, there is probably something wrong with THAT plant, and not the gardeners' techniques. Over fertilization to correct a perceived problem will burn out the rest as fertilizer is high in soluble salts.

Look for critters under the leaves.

My Centennial and Nugget bines grow like wildfire right next to the Perle which struggles every year (for 3 years!)

I was watering every third day, but I've started watering daily with the temps sitting in the mid 90's in Denver.

It could be the one plant, its just odd because originally this plant was thriving until it started getting hot out. The plant next to it seems to be following this path, although not as bad. I've checked for bugs around the plants and in the soil but there is nothing. Hopefully a little extra water is all that's needed due to the heat.

It could be the one plant, its just odd because originally this plant was thriving until it started getting hot out. The plant next to it seems to be following this path, although not as bad. I've checked for bugs around the plants and in the soil but there is nothing. Hopefully a little extra water is all that's needed due to the heat.

I think you are on the right track. I started watering mine daily as well since the temps have been in the upper 90s and they are doing well.

What variety is it. Some varieties do far better then others in certain area. I was never able to get my Willamette to do anything (only grew a little last year, has some cones this year). However, Nugget grew 24' last year, and is over 30' this year. If it wasn't contained, it would take over the yard.

I have centennial and cascade. One cascade is hurting while the other is plugging along. The two centennial are flourishing.

Never use wood chips or woody based mulches in a vegetable garden. Microorganisms attempting to breakdown the tough woody cellulose will actually deplete nitrogen reserves in the soil and or bind them making their accessibility difficult for the plants you are trying to help. Build up organic matter in your garden soil gradually with generous leaf compost and peat. Well balanced soil does not need to be "mulched". Save the mulch for around your trees and your ornamental flower beds. Grass clippings are ok to spread around, but no more than an inch thick or they get too hot!

When ONE plant out of a few is doing poorly, there is probably something wrong with THAT plant, and not the gardeners' techniques. Over fertilization to correct a perceived problem will burn out the rest as fertilizer is high in soluble salts.

Look for critters under the leaves.

My Centennial and Nugget bines grow like wildfire right next to the Perle which struggles every year (for 3 years!)

Agreed. With wood chips you may need to increase N dramatically by adding chemical fertilizer OR you can foliar feed your way out of it for now. The problem is still there but short term it can be dealt with easily.

Alaska brand is short on N if I remember correctly, I generally use fish emulsions as deer deterrents only. 2% comes to mind. Now, that 2% foliar fed is equal to 20% ground applied plus being immediately available. To stay organic, FWIW, you can use the emulsion and also use dried blood or bone meal worked in. Dig around and look for jap beetle grubs as well as wire worms.

Update: All the shoots withered up so I have trimmed them to the base and am hoping the roots are okay. I see a little growth so plan on keeping the soil most in the heat. Would it be wise to cover with dried leafs too?

The dead cascade is coming back to life. The live one looks like this but is still growing. This is how the less fortunate started. Both chinook are growing strong. Any advice? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406327029.697887.jpg

It looks like it could be spider mite damage, check the undersides of the leaves for a fine webbing very similar to spider webs.

Trimmed all the dead bines and the plant is growing anew. Can anyone tell me what is happening from my previous picture? This is happening to my other cascade as well from bottom up. Thanks!

Trimmed all the dead bines and the plant is growing anew. Can anyone tell me what is happening from my previous picture? This is happening to my other cascade as well from bottom up. Thanks!

It looks like some kind of mite or aphid damage to me. Try using a food safe pesticide to kill them.

No webs, little black specs though. View attachment 213503

It looks and sounds exactly like a Nitrogen nutrient deficiency.

From Fresh Hops
Nitrogen Deficiency- Leaves are smaller, dark olive green and have a dull appearance. They can fade to a dull orange. There is a tendency for the leaves to curl downward and the leaf petioles to become darker red. Brown spots develop interveinally on the under surface of the leaves.

Check out this site, i bet your still just low on nutrients.
https://freshops.com/hop-growing/hop-diseases-and-pests

A lot of my plants have their lower leaves die off as the season progresses, but all the higher ones are bright and vibrant. I can only assume its as all the energy moves up the plant towards the flowers that it stops bothering with the lower leaves.

Latest posts

Back