Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing hops in the South (esp. Georgia)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
br1dge
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Congrats on the hops. I just planted mine about 3 weeks ago and they have started out strong. Ill be interested to see how yours do. I chose Cascade, Centennial and Chinook to start and am looking to add one more type this year. My pics of my trellis will be up soon as I just put the posts in the ground this weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #12
mbischoff
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I am just south of Atlanta, and the Cascade and Horizon has done well. They have about 4 hours of direct sunlight per day (from about 2 - 6 pm.). I have heard the cascade flavor/aroma is way different than northwest grown hops. Anyone that can confirm?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
PaulandSara
Recipes 

Default Hello, I've got a proposition.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJeepXJ View Post
You will have a hard time growing here in GA. Only give your hops 6-8hrs of sun and don't let the topsoil dry out. Our GA heat is a bitch when trying to grow hops.

Hey,
I'm my name is Sara and I was wondering if you'd possibly be interested in meeting up sometime to maybe trade some ideas, and teach me a little about what you know. My roommate brews beer on the reg, but we've never tried to grow hops, and being from S.W. Georgia we're a little wary of the heat in the summer. Get back with me if you're interested in helping some fellow Georgians. you can e-mail me directly at absintheforthemasses@hotmail.com

Old 12-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #14
ShepFL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I would like to piggy back on this thread. I am in N. FL / S. GA line (W of Jax). I would like to grow some hops but as you said I am thinking heat would be to much. I plant my spuds at Valentines Day and everything out of the fields by 4th of July i.e. corn, beans, maters etc.
shepfl at gmail dot com

Be the person you would want as a friend because at the end of the game the King and Pawn go in the same box.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Jamminjoenapo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepFL View Post
I would like to piggy back on this thread. I am in N. FL / S. GA line (W of Jax). I would like to grow some hops but as you said I am thinking heat would be to much. I plant my spuds at Valentines Day and everything out of the fields by 4th of July i.e. corn, beans, maters etc.
shepfl at gmail dot com
I grew cascade last year and they took off. I grew them in an earthtainer which made it easy to not let dry out. Tons of water and not a full day of sun and they will grow. Hell they are weeds and can grow about anywhere.

Quick Reply