Grow hops over a pergola?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonkota

Reaction score
I've reserved some rhizomes to start this year, 2 Cascade, 2 Willamette, 2 Centennial.

If I build a pergola will they grow over it to provide me with shade in my yard? I've been wanting to build a pergola for some time now and if they will grow on that it would be sweet.

Will they climb a 6x6 post or a huge thick cross beam? Not really. The wrapping of the vine prefers smaller ropes of lines. You could build the pergola and then use some ropes leading up and laid across it, though. And remember that horizontal growth requires pretty extensive training of the vines by hand. By that I mean going through every couple of days and wrapping the vines in the direction you want them to go, as they will naturally try to grow "up", even if there is no support system there.

OK. I fiddle with my pumpkins that much so it shouldn't be bad. Thanks for the input.

I think it'd be nice growing over a pergola, but keep in mind that you don't want all three variety's rhizomes growing together. You'll never sort them out, and know which variety is which. The two cascade or the two centennial would be ok, but I'd plant separate varieties quite a distance a part.

Enjoyed reading this. I have had plans since last year to build a pergola over a small patio set. I bought 2 Cascade, 2 Northern Brewers, and 2 Chinnook. Nearly the same as you. I plan on doing just two types on my pergola and I have to figure out if I want to put up a rope elsewhere for the other. When you have it set up I'd love to see pics. Ultimately I want to drink my homebrewed beer under the hops....

Don't forget, hopvines are WAY easier to harvest off of lines because you can simply cut the line down. Harvesting hops off of a pergola, you'd have a helluva time pulling the intertwined vines off. You'd have to get a ladder and pick each hop off by hand, then remove the vines later.

Hopvines look pretty gross if you let them die off on a scaffold. They get really brown.

Probably better to let some kind of evergreen vine grow or a grapevine, as far as decoration goes.

Probably better to install a suspended line system for the hopvines, as far as harvesting goes.

Don't forget, hopvines are WAY easier to harvest off of lines because you can simply cut the line down. Harvesting hops off of a pergola, you'd have a helluva time pulling the intertwined vines off. You'd have to get a ladder and pick each hop off by hand, then remove the vines later.

Hopvines look pretty gross if you let them die off on a scaffold. They get really brown.

Probably better to let some kind of evergreen vine grow or a grapevine, as far as decoration goes.

Probably better to install a suspended line system for the hopvines, as far as harvesting goes.

+1

Harvesting on the bines would be a major PITA. Doable, but you would really have to want to stand on a ladder all day with tired arms and tired legs.

Thanks for the insite. Now I'm tryinig to figure out if i could run a rope up the post and run the rope around the top. Create the effect of it being on the wood, but having it on the rope. I know it would be alot of training.

I have this very set up.

Patio in my backyard off the side of my garage. Pergola over the patio with posts at each corner and attached to the garage. Hop bines on the two posts at the corners.

I usually just get some binder twine and nail one end of the twine into the post near the bottom and just above the rhizome and then run a few lines from there up to the top part of the pergola. Usually one straight up and a couple of at angles. I train the hops for the first little bit but then they take off like wildfire after that. In the late spring you can almost sit on the patio and watch them grow during the day–it's that fast!

Once they reach the top of the pergola they require a bit more attention to keep them moving across the top. They do provide some nice shade and are quite attractive.

Harvest time? I only harvested them once and that was just this past year for Grand River Brewing here in town. Yes, it is a PITA to harvest from the bines as they are on the pergola but I wasn't taking that much. I harvested quite late so there wasn't that much in the way of useable cones available but not that big a deal. I'll do it the same way next year and hire my kids to help me!!

I just planted 2 rhizomes where I'm getting ready to put in a gazebo. I hope to have them grow over it and provide some shade. no problem working on training them. I hope this works out similar. I really just wanted more hops for brewing, so if not, oh well, I'll change the set up. :D

Latest posts

Back