Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > green bean hop tea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
brewyourown4life
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default green bean hop tea

so i just finished drying some cascade hops and after packaging i had 1/2 oz left so i thought why not boil a quart of water throw in the 1/2 oz cascades boil for 5 minutes or so and enjoy that wonderful cascade aroma, all i got was a boiled green bean smell, i even let them steep for about 15 minutes and nothing changed. are they no good or should i not expect that cascade aroma?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

you shouldn't have boiled it for 5 minutes before sniffing, you boiled away all of the nice aroma...you should have just steeped it at pasturization temps if you were worried about sanitization. Or brought the water up to a boil and turned off the flame and added them at flame out. Remember boiling hops releases the alpha acids that contribute to bittering first, then flavor. Aroma hops tend to be put in at flame out or in secondary as dry hopping. Boiling would boil off the smell, leaving more than likely as you experienced a vegetal smell..

The hops in your kettle that you boiled for an hour are actually going to smell really nasty as well.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply