forgot to label rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonV78

Reaction score
:confused:
Ok, I'm a *******...
I forgot to label the rhizomes when I planted them in the ground.
I think I remember what they looked like, though...

I think the longer, skinier one is on the left and the shorter fatter one is on the right. One is Cascade the other is Nuggett...
Any idea which is which? :confused:

I meant - between cascade and nuggett - which one is long/skinny? which one is short/fatter?

That has nothing to do with varietal. It's just the piece of the bigger picture that got shipped to you.

The short fat one was closest to the crown, the long skinny one was furthest from the crown.

You are just gonna have to wait a few months and try to discern a difference.

Maybe this would help. They look quite similar to me. Cascade does look skinnier

Cascade-and-Nugget-Cones-300x200.jpg

cascade left, nugget right.

why the drama? When you harvest and dry them brew up a couple of hop teas. The more bitter one is Nugget. End of story.

yeah the nuggets are going to be easy to tell from the cascades - Wait till you have cones...and like they said...make a tea...the bitter one is nugget.

I ordered mine from freshops. My cascade were long and skinny and my nugget was short and fat. My cascade have also started growing more quickly. Maybe yours will be similar. Good luck.

I had a similar issue only I can't even remember which the other variety is, one is Mt. Hood the other well, I have no idea. I do remember it was a high alpha. Not really that stressed about it though they'll make beer and that's all I'm really concerned about.

I guess that is a pretty simple way to tell...
RDWHAHB

7 posts, already he is a quick study.

I guess that is a pretty simple way to tell...
RDWHAHB

8 posts, HE IS ALREADY WHORING!!!!!!!lol

I had a similar issue only I can't even remember which the other variety is, one is Mt. Hood the other well, I have no idea. I do remember it was a high alpha. Not really that stressed about it though they'll make beer and that's all I'm really concerned about.

Hell yes!

They will be beautiful, fragrant hops.

Make some "tea" to compare to a known variety if you want....(I wouldn't waste the hops;))

Or just do like me.

Harvest ALL hops and mix well.

Make a 90 minute IPA with CONSTANT hop additions. Good fun.

ex.:
1 handfull 90 minutes
1 handfull 88 minutes
*gulp some homebrew*
1 handfull 84 minutes

Etc....

to flameout and dry hop.

Mine turned out FANTASTIC.

1 of a kind.;)

Latest posts

Back