Chickens and hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hethen57

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with chickens roaming around the hop mounds? We have a small flock of chickens that roams the property and now that the weather is getting better, I notice they have been digging through mulch on my hop mounds and have been cultivating the beds. I wonder if I should try to fence them out, as I don't want them nibbling the little plants when they start coming up? What do you think?

We have chickens..and hops. They don't bother the hops at all but they will dig up any and all mulch they can get to looking for bugs/worms. If you are mulching your hops you will probably need to keep them out somehow or deal with them digging.

Thanks...that is what I thought. They "raked" off all my mulch and the rows looked totally clean and weed free. I think I will make some wire caps to put on the mounds to keep them from picking at the new sprouts. Once the bines are strung up, I think they should be fine together.

Back