Centennial Hops???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
I planted 2 rhizomes this year, a golding and a centennial. The golding is taking off like crazy, didn't even have to train them onto the rope, they just grabbed on and started climbing. However my centennial hasn't even sprouted anything yet that I can see. I'm thinking I got a dud rhizome, but just want to double check that the centennial isn't just a realllllyyyyy late bloomer.

They are both in very large pots and this is the first time I've attempted growing hops.

I had the same thing with my strawberries in containers, first very healthy, them cats ate about 50% of each plant, then they just a bug infestation that I poisoned, then everything has cleared up and they have not grown for 1.5 months. You didnt say how long, but if its over a month just go out and buy a new one before you miss your chance on this season altogether for a hope of a few hops.

I bought new strawberries 3 weeks ago to replace the above and they are by far the biggest I have ever seen, almost gigantic leaves and berries. You'll miss the season if you wait more than 2 weeks from now.

Actually I think I jumped the gun. It's been over a month but I just spotted 1 green sprout sticking up that looks a lot like hops :D Has that kind of sticky feel like the vines on the other one. Apparently it was just waiting until I asked about it to show signs of life :/

My first year centennials aren't up even a bit yet. The chinook I planted at the same time is sprouting many leaves, but not even a glimmer of hope yet for the centennials!

Good to know Yooper. That one sprout is maybe an 1/8" over the soil. So now to just keep myself motivatited to keep watering the pot of dirt until more(hopefully)sprouts up.

I think some rhizomes just go at their own pace. I have 6 plants. 2 each of Centennial, E. Kent Golding and Willamette. The Centennials have always gone gangbusters. My two plants are already all the way up my 12' trellis. Last year was the first year for my Goldings. They did what your Centennials seem to be doing. The whole season they only grew to a height of about 5'. This year they are already up about 6' and we have had a pretty cool/wet spring so far in NY. Just my 2 cents. Hopefully it will work out for you.

Back