Beersmith color always off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebgk

Wishy-washy
Reaction score
Beersmith has worked great for me. My temps, volumes, gravity. Everything works fine, except color. I don't have any SRM values to give as an example, but when brewing anything with even a tiny quantity of a roasted grain, my final colors are way, WAY darker than Beersmith estimates.

I'm pleased with the beer that I am making. My extraction, hopping, ferm temps are all good now. But my colors are off enough to take beers out of style. Not good if I'm looking to submit to a competition.

I have found that roasted grains have way more effect on the taste, as well. Following clone recipes to the letter, mine turn out darker and roastier. Gravity, hop profile, alcohol are all on target, but the influence the roasted grains have is way higher.

I've gotten used to manually adjusting my recipes in Beersmith, according to past experience, but has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, how have you dealt with it? Is there an adjustment I can make in Beersmith?

I've had the color go both ways. I change what grains & extracts I use,even if I have to add it to the list. gotta get it as accurate as possible to what you're actually using. You can also add your own pic of a glass of the beer. I started doing that.

just figure out what the different SRMs mean to you.

color is incredibly dependent on light and is even more complicated in a semi transparent medium like beer.

you know how you buy paint based on a color swatch and you get home and it looks completely different?

although, in general, i agree with you. beer smith colors seem too light

Actual SRM is based on a 1cm thick sample. If you're looking through the whole glass, of course it's darker. Plus, your light source should be as close to full daylight as possible.

Actual SRM is based on a 1cm thick sample. If you're looking through the whole glass, of course it's darker. Plus, your light source should be as close to full daylight as possible.

Thanks brewfun, I had not realized the sample was so thin. The BeerSmith colors frustrate me, too.

I will try a small vessel like a short length of 1/2"ID vinyl tubing (1.2 cm at the widest part), or the plastic container that stores the glass thermometer. The SRM is measured in a 1/2" cuvette, the European Brewing Convention uses a 1 cm size. (SRM wikipedia)

Any measuring tool needs to be calibrated, including my eye and senses. It should be tested with several reference fluids. Sam Adams posts the SRM of each beer on their site and they try very hard to be consistent and accurate. I will get a variety pack of 6 or 12 and try each in the vessel of choice.

There are online SRM charts. Just like using beersmith on your computer, the color will be influenced by your particular monitor and it's light intensity and color rendition.

Back