Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #1891
gelatin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stalled where, with what OG and recipe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #1892
nightrider069
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i used the recipe as posted on the first page it only been in the primary 3 days and not much is happening and there is not a lot of karsun in the top I haven't took a gravity reading but I know that it isnt normal og was 1.050

Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #1893
blstr
Recipes 

Mine had a very small krausen the first few days w/minimal airlock activity. It fell to the bottom early day 3 then it took off like crazy...like 6 or more inches of frothy goodness on top. Relax and give it another 48hrs.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #1894
gelatin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Mine had fairly small krausen and stayed that way the whole time, though I had huge airlock activity. More or less finished fermenting in 4 days. Settled at 1.028 FG, which due to the amount of lactose I added is about right (OG 1.082). Still a bit tart, but it has a sweetness to it that I think will come out nicely in a few more weeks as the tartness hopefully mellows.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #1895
capnjb
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARK View Post
would love to hear how this turns out as I have some extra flaked barley and was thinking of substituting that for the torrified wheat as well.
It worked just fine with the flaked barley. Fair amount of head when poured from the keg. It hangs out for a bit then fades... but laces the glass nicely. It's not clear by any stretch of the imagination, but it's actually quite a bit better than I was expecting.

Once your mind understands that you're drinking a cider based drink it becomes easily quaffable in large amounts. It doesn't finish tart like a cider so it's not difficult to lose count of the trips to the well, if you get my meaning

I drank graff almost exclusively while watching football this past weekend. I'm pretty sure I put a major dent in the keg. It's tough having the tv in plain view of the taps... too easy to top off a half full glass

Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #1896
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 670 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I pushed a case of this stuff to the back of the brew closet and kinda forgot about it for a while. Previous batches didn't last long, but that forgotten case has been aging for about 8 months. I had a bottle the other day and it is incredible with a few months of aging. It's good after a couple weeks, but amazing after a few months. Cheers!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #1897
nightrider069
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

well there is still airlock activity but very slow I guess I will leave it alone for a few weeks to see what happens. Is is my first Graff an cider I have been doing partical mash and I am planning on doing my first all grain soon

Old 12-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #1898
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I kegged mine up the other day. It was very tart at room temp... like pucker your arsehole tart, but it wasn't so bad when it was cold so I racked it on top of one can of apple juice concentrate in the keg and threw it in the fridge at 35 degrees to force carb.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #1899
Stovetop535
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Read through the first 30 pages along with the last 5 and decided I will be trying this out here this weekend or the next. Just a couple questions I have since I will be bottling and kegging some.

1) For the individuals who are kegging, are you setting and forgetting it or quick carbing? Also, what seems to be the preferred level or carbonation for this drink?

2) Are bottle bombs with the Graff not an issue?

I am new to the cider world and dont want to blow anything up in the house (pretty sure I would be banished to the garage if this happened). Does this mean all the fermentation is done after 2 weeks and that is why it is safe to bottle? I take it this is considered a finished cider, not a sweet cider?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #1900
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovetop535 View Post
Read through the first 30 pages along with the last 5 and decided I will be trying this out here this weekend or the next. Just a couple questions I have since I will be bottling and kegging some.

1) For the individuals who are kegging, are you setting and forgetting it or quick carbing? Also, what seems to be the preferred level or carbonation for this drink?

2) Are bottle bombs with the Graff not an issue?

I am new to the cider world and dont want to blow anything up in the house (pretty sure I would be banished to the garage if this happened). Does this mean all the fermentation is done after 2 weeks and that is why it is safe to bottle? I take it this is considered a finished cider, not a sweet cider?
I bottled mine so I cannot comment on kegging advice. Bottle bombs are always an issue. However, if you treat you're yeast right they'll chew through this in no time. Both Notty and S-05 finish fast. Two weeks with the appropriate conditions should be plenty of time. Plus the sugar in the apple juice is mostly simple sugars that are easy for the yeast to devour.

This recipe will be dry and tart. NOT a sweet cider. If you are worried about it being too tart you can add an extra lb of DME to the boil to help prop up your FG. I prefer doing this over the original recipe. Although it covers up the apple flavor in favor of malty beer sweetness a little more. Either way, it is a very unique and delicious drink.

Quick Reply