Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ancient Orange Mead (by Joe Mattioli)
1 gallon batch

3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
1 stick of cinnamon
1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice )( very small )
1 teaspoon of Fleishmann’s bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me--- after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
Balance water to one gallon

Process:
Use a clean 1 gallon carboy
Dissolve honey in some warm water and put in carboy
Wash orange well to remove any pesticides and slice in eights --add orange (you can push em through opening big boy -- rinds included -- its ok for this mead -- take my word for it -- ignore the experts)

Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water. ( need room for some foam -- you can top off with more water after the first few day frenzy)

Shake the heck out of the jug with top on, of course. This is your sophisticated aeration process.

When at room temperature in your kitchen, put in 1 teaspoon of bread yeast. ( No you don't have to rehydrate it first-- the ancients didn't even have that word in their vocabulary-- just put it in and give it a gentle swirl or not)(The yeast can fight for their own territory)

Install water airlock. Put in dark place. It will start working immediately or in an hour. (Don't use grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away in the 90's)( Wait 3 hours before you panic or call me) After major foaming stops in a few days add some water and then keep your hands off of it. (Don't shake it! Don't mess with them yeastees! Let them alone except its okay to open your cabinet to smell every once in a while.

Racking --- Don't you dare
additional feeding --- NO NO
More stirring or shaking -- Your not listening, don't touch

After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and clear all by itself. (How about that) (You are not so important after all) Then you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part and siphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long. If it is clear it is ready. You don't need a cold basement. It does better in a kitchen in the dark. (Like in a cabinet) likes a little heat (70-80). If it didn't work out... you screwed up and didn't read my instructions (or used grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away) . If it didn't work out then take up another hobby. Mead is not for you. It is too complicated.
If you were successful, which I am 99% certain you will be, then enjoy your mead. When you get ready to make different mead you will probably have to unlearn some of these practices I have taught you, but hey--- This recipe and procedure works with these ingredients so don't knock it. It was your first mead. It was my tenth. Sometimes, even the experts can forget all they know and make good ancient mead.

I have never ventured to the Mead Forum before but when I did and saw how easy this was I just had to give it a try. Thanks to Joe and Yoop!

All the ingredients
11999-JOAM1.jpg

Less than 10 minutes later
11999-JOAM2.jpg

Just made a 1 gallon batch of this. I've never had mead before, so I'm excited to try it in 2 months. Thanks Yooper!

the batch i made last spring is now tasting good after 8 months aging.
its a bit sweet but is very flavourful. tasted like a$$ after two months, very pithy from the orange rind so i ignored it until now.

Can this be bottled with priming sugar to have it carbonated???

I don't know if that is an "ancient" technique or not, but I like bubbly things...

What can I say?

I'm not sure. Usually you can but the bread yeast poops out really early (that's why it's sweet) so I don't know if you can bottle carb this or not. If you add more yeast, it'd would eat the sugar in the AOM and might give you bottle bombs.

YooperBrew said:
I'm not sure. Usually you can but the bread yeast poops out really early (that's why it's sweet) so I don't know if you can bottle carb this or not. If you add more yeast, it'd would eat the sugar in the AOM and might give you bottle bombs.

What if I bottled it after about 6 weeks in the fermentor so it could finish fermenting in the bottle? That way it could be a little carbonated.

I updated this recipe and brewed it today.

Omit the raisins and crappy bread yeast.

use wyeast sweet mead yeast. just hand squeeze the orange, and take off the top zest.
steep for 10 minutes at 140F with the honey, then cool and strain it when you put it in the fermenter.

also use yeast nutrient and energizer. its not as 'ancient' but it should be a little nicer. no sourness from the rind to age out, and a cleaner yeast that's meant for alcohol, but only to 11%. so use a little less honey. 3lbs tops.

My batch from 12/28 is perfectly clear can I bottle it now or let it sit another 3 weeks?

Here it is 2 months later. It was perfectly clear till I racked it, so I put it into a sanitized gallon jug and let it settle again before bottling.
Ended up with six 16 oz bottles and a nice glass full for later.
This stuff is much better than I was expecting. Will have a couple more gallons going this week.

2089627240101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

Just bottled this yesterday, and it was surprisingly good.

It tasted pretty hot, so hopefully that'll mellow after a few months.

Can't wait to try it in the future and then make a 5 gallon batch!

Just whipped up another batch the only thing I did different was split the raisins & I zested the orange and then peeled it chopped it up finer and smashed the cinnamon stick. I figured maybe more surface area should = more orange/spice flavor.

My last batch had no bitter/pithy taste at all from the orange , just hoping the smaller orange & raisin pieces will fall sooner and make for easier racking.

Here is a shot inside the jug before adding the honey.

2522466120101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

Hey Yoop, not that I'm not listening or anything but...

I have this packet of Mead Yeast, Vierka Mead Yest - dry. I bought it but didn't use it. Will it significantly change the character of this mead if I use it because I have the bread yeast as well, but figured I'd use the mead yeast.

Well, I really don't know for sure. I think Joe's recipe uses bread yeast which keeps it sweet. The bread yeast doesn't attenuate very well, and the mead is left quite sweet as a result. However, the lees are very fine and powdery so that's the downside of this bread yeast.

I can't find the attenuation of your yeast online, so I really can't answer that question. However, if it makes it too dry, you can always sweeten it up afterwards by stabilizing and sweetening (if you're not planning on carbing it).

Oh HE dbl hockeys!! I'll make this one into a 5 gallon batch without the pith so I'll skin'em I feel like 5 sticks of cinnamon for 5 gallons may be a bit much. I try just one or two and see also I had already bought a sweet mead yeast so I'll use that. I know man, sorry it's not ancient anymore but I'll still give Joe the credit if my changes turn out for the good!

:mug:

I pitched the mead yeast without re-hydrating, just put it in there. However, I had run cold water into the carboy on top of the honey, which cooled it way down and separated it. I let it sit to room temp (~71F) and then pitched. It is going pretty slow, with a couple inch layer of honey on the bottom and oranges on top. This may take a while...

Mine exploded all over my floor.. It was foaming up like crazy. End up just dumping some more out.. Going good now though, and got the air lock back on.

Ryanh1801 said:
Mine exploded all over my floor.. It was foaming up like crazy. End up just dumping some more out.. Going good now though, and got the air lock back on.
Mine have been ok, except the one where I used a washed US-05 Ale yeast. That one went right onto the counter and then onto the floor for 2 days.

BTW...What is that funky taste? I can't put my finger on it...It's like super concentrated orange seed flavor...and it's good for nearly instant heartburn. I may have to try Malkors version.

Just (finally) bottled my JOAM, my first mead ever. Man, is it nice. Been a long gestation but well worth it, I'm hooked.
Were a few compromises in putting it together which probably accounted for the long hatch but well worth the wait.

got my first batch going today. talk to you again in a few months!

I found this exact recipe from http://www.moremead.com/mead_logs/Ancient_OCC.html and just finished making it. I'm not too concerned about the bread yeast as the first four gallons of wine I made(1 gal at a time) used bread yeast, because I simply didn't know any better. The yeasty taste was minimal due to the sweetness of the concentrate I used. I'm sure the 3lbs of honey along with the assortment of spices will be plenty of sweetness to cover the yeasty essence. Here's a pic of mine with airlock fitted, sitting in my bathtub. I've got it covered with a hand towel to keep the light out.

100_2802.jpg
100_2803.jpg

How much alcohol should this produce...?

My batch should be ready near the time of a family gathering, next month, and am tempted to take some there, but don't want to turn the event into an Irish funeral..:)

Made a batch of this last night... My first mead, ever.

I pitched the yeast when it was warm still. I'd guess about 110, or 115F. It was bubbling this morning, so hopefully I didn't kill too many of the yeasties...

Think pitching it at that high of a temp will screw it up too badly?

Made a batch of this last night... My first mead, ever.

I pitched the yeast when it was warm still. I'd guess about 110, or 115F. It was bubbling this morning, so hopefully I didn't kill too many of the yeasties...

Think pitching it at that high of a temp will screw it up too badly?

No, if it's fermenting, you're fine.

Assembled my first batch last night. Two actually. Followed Yoop's recipe.

Has anyone had luck making three or five gal batches?

I followed Yoop's recipe and I was wondering what type of ingredient modifications had to be made rather than multiplying everything by three or five?

Thanks,
Michael

I've made a few 3 and 5 gallon batches and just multiplied everything but the yeast. They all turned out well.

Rog. Thanks.

It was pretty easy. And it is really fun to watch. No rhino farts, so it's kitchen friendly. How important is it to leave it in the dark? After a week or so I was going to put it in a dark closet. But for now, the kids like to watch it.

Cheers,
Michael

I am wondering WHAT this ancient orange recipe would taste like if you used Orange Blossom Honey with it???? Hmmm......could be 'nother batch????

Ancient Orange Mead (by Joe Mattioli)
1 gallon batch

3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
1 stick of cinnamon
1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice )( very small )
1 teaspoon of Fleishmann’s bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me--- after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
Balance water to one gallon

Process:
Use a clean 1 gallon carboy
Dissolve honey in some warm water and put in carboy
Wash orange well to remove any pesticides and slice in eights --add orange (you can push em through opening big boy -- rinds included -- its ok for this mead -- take my word for it -- ignore the experts)

Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water. ( need room for some foam -- you can top off with more water after the first few day frenzy)

Shake the heck out of the jug with top on, of course. This is your sophisticated aeration process.

When at room temperature in your kitchen, put in 1 teaspoon of bread yeast. ( No you don't have to rehydrate it first-- the ancients didn't even have that word in their vocabulary-- just put it in and give it a gentle swirl or not)(The yeast can fight for their own territory)

Install water airlock. Put in dark place. It will start working immediately or in an hour. (Don't use grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away in the 90's)( Wait 3 hours before you panic or call me) After major foaming stops in a few days add some water and then keep your hands off of it. (Don't shake it! Don't mess with them yeastees! Let them alone except its okay to open your cabinet to smell every once in a while.

Racking --- Don't you dare
additional feeding --- NO NO
More stirring or shaking -- Your not listening, don't touch

After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and clear all by itself. (How about that) (You are not so important after all) Then you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part and siphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long. If it is clear it is ready. You don't need a cold basement. It does better in a kitchen in the dark. (Like in a cabinet) likes a little heat (70-80). If it didn't work out... you screwed up and didn't read my instructions (or used grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away) . If it didn't work out then take up another hobby. Mead is not for you. It is too complicated.
If you were successful, which I am 99% certain you will be, then enjoy your mead. When you get ready to make different mead you will probably have to unlearn some of these practices I have taught you, but hey--- This recipe and procedure works with these ingredients so don't knock it. It was your first mead. It was my tenth. Sometimes, even the experts can forget all they know and make good ancient mead.

Yooper, was wondering if tangerines would work? For some strange reason, I am allergic to oranges, but can eat a tangerine with no problems. Wouldn't mind trying this and changing it around a little. Thanks for the help.

I just made a batch of this just to give it a try. I have a buddy who makes mead and it is not something I am crazy about, but this seems too easy not to try! Thanks for the recipe. BTW, my OG was 1.14! Whoohoo!

I just made a 2.5 gallon batch of this (in an old Mr. Beer). I kept everything the same, just upped the honey to 5 lbs. Has anyone been able to carb it, or is the bread yeast a little too weak at the end of fermentation?

Back