Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Santa Baby - Spiced Holiday Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #21
Moody_Copperpot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's just a very, very slight flavor that is achieved with those additions, but it's there. And the other thing is that you get those other few IBUs out of those additions, but the bitterness imparted there is more gentle and subtle than if all IBUs come from the 60min, in my experience with beers like this.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #22
BeerGrylls
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 101

I ended up using Citra as flavor and aroma additions, since I was worried it would be unbalanced if I did the bittering addition only. I smelled the wort afterwards, and I was picking up a heavenly maltiness from the RB and Special B, and the spices smelled fantastic too. I subbed Mt Hood for the Vanguard, went with the S-04, and used fresh ginger because my market had lots of it. The aroma did smell pretty strongly of citra however, so I'm wondering how that will come through. Orange peel is a common ingredient in 21B, and I get that from Citra if it's been allowed to condition a bit, so guess I'll have to wait and see! Thanks again for the recipe.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #23
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just now saw that you responded to this thread
How'd it turn out for you once you drank it?
Citra would be good in this for sure, I'd like to try that.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #24
BeerGrylls
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Unfortunately the bottles overcarbed. After letting my glass vent for a bit, it's not bad but something about the spices is offputting, maybe some spent too long in the boil, maybe I just got the balance wrong. I think I may try to drink them hot like a tea, with a cinnamon stick in them, see if that's any better. I think I'll need to try another one, to see what exactly what I'm tasting.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #25
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Santa Baby - Spiced Holiday Ale

The overcarbbing is probably making the spices more prevalent or something? This beer does have spice to it, but it's very subtle compared to any of the commercial Christmas beers out there. Make sure you do half tsp and not half tbsp too. I'm not suggesting that you used the wrong amounts, but it's more as a note to anyone planning to brew this to pay attention and use the small amounts of spice listed.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #26
WorkBoots09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Moody,

I just brewed this recipe as amended on page 2 of this thread. I used some left over NZ Super Alpha as my main bittering hops with some low AA Willamette thrown in for spice/flavor help. I did this BIAB with a 75 minute mash at 155 and a standard 1-hour boil. I hit the OG pretty dang close at 1.065, and I used S-04 in the fermentors. Within 6 hours, I had a healthy head of krausen, and it smells amazing in my fermentation closet! I am super excited to see how this batch goes.

I've never done secondary fermentation before, and if I do for this batch, I'll have to get another carboy. Is it really necessary? I plan on kegging this batch, if that makes any difference. If I need to add any spice or just cinnamon, could I add a stick or two to the keg instead of secondary?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #27
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Santa Baby - Spiced Holiday Ale

Awesome! As for the secondary, nah I'd say skip it. I honestly almost never do a secondary anymore.
If you do take the lid off to spice it further, I'd recommend shooting some co2 into that bucket before putting the lid back on just to purge all the oxygen
Any extra spices can be added right to the primary or the keg. Another word of advice if this is your first spiced beer, the spices will be more prominent once the beer is carbonated than they are when you take your sample of the uncarbonated stuff. You can always add more, but you can't take spices away once they are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 03-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #28
WorkBoots09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Update: This has been the best beer I've ever brewed. FG Came out about 1.018, the spice was present but not overpowering, and I landed about 6.5% ABV. This is exactly the type of beer I imagine in a winter warmer. It has a good deal of residual sweetness to it, but the spice complements it well. Overall, I am thoroughly impressed with this recipe.

I ended up just letting the batch ride as-is rather than adding more cinnamon. This will definitely be added to my yearly rotation. Thank you!

Old 03-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #29
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Awesome! That's great to hear; I'm glad that you dig the recipe and that your brew turned out so well.

The original incarnation of this beer had it at about 8.5% abv with way more spice. I fine tuned the spices over the years and decided that I wanted a more mid-range abv beer. There are a number of heavy hitters out there in the abv range for holiday beers, but not nearly enough where you can have several and not be sloshed haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick Reply