Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #211
BudzAndSudz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
I add them right to the keg, then rack onto them. I'd suggest boiling up about 1/4 cup of water, then let it cool and add the spice once it reaches 180. The vanilla extract I use is literally just vodka with vanilla beans that have been soaking for a few years, so it is sterile by default.
I always just add the spices to an ounce or so of bourbon or rum. That way the heat doesn't volatilize any of the aromatics, and the rum is a nice, but subtle, flavor addition that fits very well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #212
HopoftheMuffintoYou
Recipes 

Brewed this last year...The fermentation was so violent it blew the lid off the bucket. Definitley be prepared with a blow off tube.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #213
NicoleBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Excited to make this! Ill use actual pumpkin though. It'll be interesting cause I've never added anything else but grain to my mash

Old 08-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #214
jwible204
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleBrewer View Post
Excited to make this! Ill use actual pumpkin though. It'll be interesting cause I've never added anything else but grain to my mash
I'd recommend baking/roasting the pumpkin before mashing it with some brown sugar and spices, otherwise it doesn't lend much to the beer.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #215
jwible204
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz View Post
I always just add the spices to an ounce or so of bourbon or rum. That way the heat doesn't volatilize any of the aromatics, and the rum is a nice, but subtle, flavor addition that fits very well.
That's a good idea, and I've had some variants with Rum that I liked, but I personally just want the spices in this beer, so I'd probably use vodka.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #216
jwible204
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFryan View Post
Yea I know I had a minor mishap in my calculations. I am going make it again soon. My fermentation however has been crazy so far with s04.

Attachment 142916

Good thing I had garbage bags below them.
Yep, that's typical for this beer, it's a monster.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #217
NicoleBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204

I'd recommend baking/roasting the pumpkin before mashing it with some brown sugar and spices, otherwise it doesn't lend much to the beer.
So how long do I bake canned pumpkin for?

Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #218
BeerMeDuffMan
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I bake it for 60 minutes on a very shallow pan with spices and molasses. With canned pumpkin you nay not have to game it that long but I really enjoy that flavor myself.

Find me on Untappd; BeerMeDuffMan

Check out the next thing in BIF's:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/big-box-yum-482657/

Old 09-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #219
Nompton
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Well, maybe I was a bit ambitious. This was my very first "non-Mr. Beer" homebrew. I spent a couple weeks reading up on HBT and convinced myself I could do an all-grain as my first real home brew. Boy, am I tired.

I scaled my recipe to 3.5 Gallons, substituted Saaz for Sterling because my local homebrew shop did not have any Sterling (and it was suggested on this thread). I did not really understand how much grain an "all grain" recipe encompassed.

I ended at 1.080 OG, which I'm thrilled with, all things considered. I let my boil go a bit longer because I felt my wort volume was a bit high. I didn't really know if a yeast starter was necessary, but I went ahead and made one anyways. This smelled delicious when I was finished.

I headed a bunch of other's advice and left myself tons of room in my primary because I *expect* a vigorous fermentation. I have about 3.5 gallons with 3 gallons of room. I also put in a blow-off tube, which may have been over-kill.

Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #220
BeerMeDuffMan
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 40

What kind of yeast were you using? With a lower volume lime that you might be OK with a single smack pack and you will be fine if it was a dry yeast. With liquid cultures your best bet is to always make a starter a day or two in advance of brew day. It does make a difference

Find me on Untappd; BeerMeDuffMan

Check out the next thing in BIF's:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/big-box-yum-482657/

Quick Reply