Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > AG - Water Into Barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #61
america
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoni
When do you add the maple syrup in this recipe?

Brewing this bad boy this weekend, got an enormous starter chugging away right now!
I added it with 10-15 minutes left. Some people do flame out. Just make sure you whirlpool really well before you take a gravity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #62
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Just tasted a 3-gal batch of this after 6 months aging in bottles at ~65 F. It's clarified a great deal, and is now wonderfully balanced between all those hops and the malty/syrupy sweetness. Complex, bitter, deep and satisfying.

Mine didn't come to the proper OG (goofed on not boiling all the way down to desired volume), but then it dried out more than expected, coming to around 10.5%, so it's got the appropriate kick, too.

Outstanding recipe. I was worried at first that I'd botched the dry hopping because the hops had sat out for some time and were starting to smell cheesy (my fault, had a Moment of Transcendent Stupid), but that problem character is gone entirely and the beer smells and tastes unbelievable.

Thanks to Brewpastor for an amazing recipe!

-Rich

Kegged: Old Chub clone | Traditional Porter
On Deck: Bottling dammit!

Old 10-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #63
BoxBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I brewed this yesterday but needed some DME to get my OG up to the 1.100 range. It is fermenting like crazy this morning. My blowoff bottle was overflowing haha. I think I should have brought the temperature down a little from 70... Oh well!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #64
Sujeto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBIV View Post
I plan to brew a 2.5g version this week. It's my first barleywine, so I'm pretty excited for it. I'll let you know how it goes.
I am considering brewing this in a few weeks. My system can't handle this amount of grain so I was thinking of brewing 2 or 2.5 gallons. Maybe even one gallon.
I'm curious to know how yours turned out.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #65
RCBIV
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujeto View Post
I am considering brewing this in a few weeks. My system can't handle this amount of grain so I was thinking of brewing 2 or 2.5 gallons. Maybe even one gallon.
I'm curious to know how yours turned out.
Funny enough, I never got around to brewing it on at 2.5-gallon scale.

However, I am planning this to be my first batch on my much bigger system next weekend.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #66
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Down to my last six-pack or two of last year's batch, and it's aged wonderfully.

The maple character faded to nebulous complexity, sadly, but it's still a delightful barleywine. Will make again, possibly for 2014.

-Rich

surlytheduff Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #67
BoxBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Finally opened one up over Christmas, but it wasn't really carbonated yet and it also was really hot tasting... I had to add some DME to get the OG up, as my efficiency suffered from so much grain... It smelled amazing, but it just needs some time to mellow out, I hope...

Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #68
DuffBeerMN
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I brewed this in last fall, and everything went well, just a bit low on my OG (1.084), but hit my FG and just opened a bottle. It tastes very bitter after ~5months, but when I let it warm up a bit I can definitely get that malty sweetness at the back end. Will that hop bitterness fade with time or was I bit too low on my OG? I am thinking of letting this sit for a few more months before I open another.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #69
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffBeerMN View Post
I brewed this in last fall, and everything went well, just a bit low on my OG (1.084), but hit my FG and just opened a bottle. It tastes very bitter after ~5months, but when I let it warm up a bit I can definitely get that malty sweetness at the back end. Will that hop bitterness fade with time or was I bit too low on my OG? I am thinking of letting this sit for a few more months before I open another.
Well, it is 95 IBU per the recipe. It won't be malt-forward.

Most of the barleywines I've tried do have a lot of hop bitterness to them, but it will fade/become more complex over time. So was this brewed in Fall 2012? If so, I'd definitely wait a few more months. My brew of this is about a year old, and is wonderful now, but was really hitting its stride in the six to eight month range.

-Rich

Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #70
DuffBeerMN
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoloc8 View Post
Well, it is 95 IBU per the recipe. It won't be malt-forward.

Most of the barleywines I've tried do have a lot of hop bitterness to them, but it will fade/become more complex over time. So was this brewed in Fall 2012? If so, I'd definitely wait a few more months. My brew of this is about a year old, and is wonderful now, but was really hitting its stride in the six to eight month range.

-Rich
I didn't think it'd be that malt forward, but I was looking for a bit more complexity. Yes, it was brewed in Fall '12, so I was figuring it'd mellow out with more time, but was just looking for what typical length of time before big bitter beers mellow. I'll probably crack one open in the spring and see where it is. Thanks!

Quick Reply