Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Leffe Radieuse Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #61
clinton69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It's been roughly 4 weeks since brew day. I was out of coopers drops and used dextrose to prime the beer for the first time. I hope it works out ok.
The OG was also a little lower than the original recipes but the ABV is right on. Really nice and rich color. More patience needed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #62
Akavango
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you used the right amount of sugar, there shouldn't be any problems. From my experience beer carbonate faster with dextrose than coopers drops but that doesn't meant that you shouldn't wait for drink them. That beer ages very well in bottle.

4187L brewed since August 2011.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #63
SteelRinger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I am thinking about transferring mine to a secondary to age. I am going to be on vacation at the 30 day period, so it will be closer to 40 before I get to bottle. Plus, there is a ton of yeasty beasties in the primary and the outside is pretty dirty due to the explosive fermentation in the beginning.

I know it isn't needed, but just wondering if you think I am being too obsessive about it.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #64
Akavango
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelRinger View Post
I am thinking about transferring mine to a secondary to age. I am going to be on vacation at the 30 day period, so it will be closer to 40 before I get to bottle. Plus, there is a ton of yeasty beasties in the primary and the outside is pretty dirty due to the explosive fermentation in the beginning.

I know it isn't needed, but just wondering if you think I am being too obsessive about it.
Don't worry about what i think. If you think there is too much yeast in it and fermentation is done then go ahead and rack it in the secondary.
It won't hurt the beer either way as long as the secondary is clean and sanitised.

I personally keep it 5 weeks in the primary without ill effect and have gone for as long as 9 weeks in the primary without any problems.

It is really how you feel about it.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 AM   #65
SteelRinger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, I am really bummed.

I think I got an infection. I took a gravity reading and then tasted my sample. I got an off flavor. Kinda like rubber. Not sure what it is. I haven't been brewing long enough to know what different infections taste like. The yeast ring at the top of the carboy was really dark as well. Dark brown instead of the tan I am used to.

It could have been that I was drinking a semi-sour beer right before, but I don't know.

I will take another sample in a week to see.

My gravity was pretty much right where I expected at 1.012.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #66
SteelRinger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Upon further review (drinking a Belgian Stout from Boulevard) I am tasting the same flavor profile, so it is probably the yeast and not an infection. Coming off of drinking a semi-sour (Lips of Faith Brett Beer), it made that flavor stand out. In the stout I am drinking now it just adds depth.

Considering how much yeast was still suspended, I will attribute it to that and not an infection.

I transferred to a secondary and I will let it sit for another 2 weeks.

To what volume do you suggest carbing to? I was thinking 2.5 volumes.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #67
Akavango
Recipes 

Without tasting it, it is hard to tell what is the causing the off taste. Hopefully it isn't an infection. It could be the yeast or possibly the hops. You have used willamette which is very close to fuggle. I have done a leffe recipe and substituded the styrian golding by fuggle and it changed the beer completely. Up to the point that I thouhgt it was infected and i almost dumped it. It wasn't but, it didn't turn out to be a great beer.

As for the carbonation 2.5 sounds good to me.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #68
clinton69
Recipes 

This patience thing is not my thing, already open a bootle last night and it was not fully carbonated but showed great potential.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #69
Akavango
Recipes 

Build yourself some stock, then the patience will be much easier to deal with.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #70
SteelRinger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Bottled tonight. The extra time in the secondary helped it tremendously. It mellowed quite well. Still a bit of the Williamette taste coming through, but it tastes a lot like Trois Pistoles from Unibroue, which is one of my favorites.

Having not tasted Leffe Radieuse, I don't know what to compare it to, but if it stays like it is, I am going to like it a lot.

Quick Reply