Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Session Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default All-Grain - Session Saison

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 3711
Yeast Starter: Nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.028
Final Gravity: 1.005
IBU: 18.7
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5.7
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14-21 days at 73 F
Tasting Notes: Fruity, spicy, very saison-like

I love saisons, but the 5-7% ABV that a typical saison has is not very quaffable during the hot summer months. Here's a more sessionable version that has all the saison characteristics with lower alcohol.

Brew-In-A-Bag/No-Chill

Reverse osmosis water
1.5 tsp Calcium Chloride

5 lb Belgian Pale Malt
1 lb Weyermann Light Munich Malt
2 oz Acid Malt

.5 oz Styrian Golding (3.8%, pellet) First Wort Hop
.5 oz Styrian Golding (3.8%, pellet) 30 min (50 minute addition with chilling method)
2 oz Strisselspalt (2.0%, pellet) Cube hop (20 minute addition with chilling method)

Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Mash: 152 F for 60 min
Mash-out: 170 F for 15 min
Boil: 60 min

Target stats are listed above, calculated for 75% efficiency. Here's what I got on brew day:
Efficiency: 86%
OG: 1.032
FG: 1.002
ABV: 4.0%
IBU: 18.1

It's still a session beer, very drinkable, and only 4% abv. It exhibits all the characteristics of a saison, fruity and spicy, though the head doesn't last quite as long as more traditional examples. It was a hit at my homebrew club's summer party, so I'm not complaining

I added the Munich to help with the color and give it a little more body and malt flavor. The acid malt is there strictly for pH adjustment. The low-AA hops provided the right amount of balance and the flavors were spot-on.

My efficiency always seems to increase when I use a smaller grain bill with Brew-In-A-Bag, and I forgot to calculate for that, plus the yeast attenuated more than expected, taking this from a 2.9% quaffer to a 4% "monster" brew

Next time I will take the enhanced efficiency into consideration, but I consider this recipe a tried-and-true success!

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

a nice sessionable saison is perfect. I love me some saisons but at 7-8% can't drink as much as I'd like. any way to convert this into a extract brew???

Old 07-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
a nice sessionable saison is perfect. I love me some saisons but at 7-8% can't drink as much as I'd like. any way to convert this into a extract brew???
you can use 3 lbs light dme instead of the pale malt, but you'll still need to mash the specialty grain

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Skeeter Pee
4: Hoegarden Saison
Fermenting: English Mild

Old 07-28-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
you can use 3 lbs light dme instead of the pale malt, but you'll still need to mash the specialty grain
mash the specialty grain or just steep them??

Old 07-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #5
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 15

depends on how sour you want it. a little sour, steep. a lot sour, mash

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Skeeter Pee
4: Hoegarden Saison
Fermenting: English Mild

Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #6
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
ok, call me stupid since I have only steeped, but how would I go about mashing the munich and acid malt????

Old 07-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
The acid malt is strictly for pH adjustment, and doesn't add any noticeable sourness. If you're not using Reverse Osmosis water, just change the acid malt to pale malt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
ok, call me stupid since I have only steeped, but how would I go about mashing the munich and acid malt????
Basically, if you steep the Munich and acid malts at say around 150 for 30-60 min., that's mashing. Basically keep doing what you've been doing, just pay closer attention to the temperature.

Honestly, find the freshest, most fermentable light extract you can find, maybe a little Munich extract if you can find it, and skip the acid malt altogether and it would still get you pretty close.

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 07-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
The acid malt is strictly for pH adjustment, and doesn't add any noticeable sourness. If you're not using Reverse Osmosis water, just change the acid malt to pale malt.

Basically, if you steep the Munich and acid malts at say around 150 for 30-60 min., that's mashing. Basically keep doing what you've been doing, just pay closer attention to the temperature.

Honestly, find the freshest, most fermentable light extract you can find, maybe a little Munich extract if you can find it, and skip the acid malt altogether and it would still get you pretty close.
ok, that makes sesnse. thanks for the info on mashing the specialty grains

ok, can't get munich in Tucson but I can get briess or muntons extra light extract so I'll try that

Old 03-07-2013, 03:07 AM   #9
QuercusMax
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I brewed this in January as my very first AG brew. I subbed 2-row for the Belgian Pils and Vienna for the Munich because my LHBS was disorganized and I couldn't find the right malts. (I now have 55 lb of Durst pils and know the unlabeled bin is Munich.) I also had to sub Mt Hood for the Strisselspalt. Used WLP565, no starter, in 2.5 gallon batch.

Even with my utter AG noob-ness and recipe chaos, this came out fantastic. Great fluffy head, nice pale orange color, good bitterness, nice funky aroma. I had never drunk a saison before, but this weekend I tried a Saison DuPont, and I actually think I like this better! (SD is a little too bitter for my palate, when it ferments so dry.)

This recipe I think would do nicely with a small amount of dry hopping. Maybe .5 oz for 5 gallons. It's really good. I'm probably going to do a black version of this, with some cardamom, this weekend.

Overall a fantastic recipe. I can't recommend this enough.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:12 AM   #10
QuercusMax
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Oh, a few more notes. I left out the acid malt and water additions and used tap water. Also, my wife and her friend kept complaining about the smell of the DuPont. She doesn't complain about this one. I may need to ferment hotter to get to that level of funkiness - I fermented mostly at 68 ambient, them dropped to 57, whereas next time I'll start at 68 then move to 72 after a day or two.

Quick Reply