Se La Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 566
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days let it hit 85F on the second day then bring back down over a couple days to 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2-3 weeks
Additional Fermentation
3 - 6 weeks in bottles/keg
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Se La Saison
Brewer: Christopher John Flannagan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 8.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.98 %
1.25 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 12.22 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4.89 %
0.33 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
0.15 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 1.47 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 16.2 IBU
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.25 oz Black Peppercorn (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.25 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.25 lb Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 12.22 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Saison II Ale (White Labs #WLP566) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 8.98 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 11.23 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F (I Actually mashed around 146-147)
10 min Mash Out Add 7.18 qt of water at 200.2 F 168.0 F

Notes:
------

Seasonal Yeast Strain... let fermentation hit 85+ on the second day, then bring back down to 70 over the next day or two. I mashed this one reallllly low, around 146F. Now that I think about it, I believe the FG was around 1.010-11
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll have to keep us updated on that yeast strain, I have used WLP565 which has really poor attenuation, which is not what you want with a saison, they should finish dry, but it has a great flavor. Chris White says that WLP566 attenuates much better.

Man that stuff really seemed like it had more residual sugar than 1.010...like the dextrins were really evident, especially as it warmed up. I still wonder how DuPont and the like gets that subtle sour-acidic note. Maybe a touch of acidulated malt?

Dude, I gotta tell ya, if you can get your hands on a bottle of their Avec Les Bons Voeux, jump on it.

Evan! said:
Man that stuff really seemed like it had more residual sugar than 1.010...like the dextrins were really evident, especially as it warmed up. I still wonder how DuPont and the like gets that subtle sour-acidic note. Maybe a touch of acidulated malt?

Dude, I gotta tell ya, if you can get your hands on a bottle of their Avec Les Bons Voeux, jump on it.

It does seem sweeter, but I really think that was the yeast. After thinking about it, I'm pretty dang sure it was that low. I remember having a few beers back to back saison, hefe and something else all hitting 1.010 almost on the nose which amazed me. That yeast is pretty intense. I'd love to try someone elses Saison, but I have such a horrible beer selection here in North Texas. Maybe once I get over to Georgia I'll find a better/bigger beer store.

Or how about I toss one into your package? It's a 750, so it'll cut down on how many of mine I can send, but let me know what you wanna do.

Sounds nice. But I wonder why everyone seems to make these over the top saison recipes. Dupont is my favourite by far and I know that they only use pale malt, wheat syrup and hops, no spices, sugar or specialty malts, which is the classic way. I know a few brewers use hints of spice, but I feel that Saisons get most of the character from the yeast and don't need a kitchen sink recipe.

No offence to you, of course - beer is all about individual taste and that's what makes it so exiting. But I feel that these are really "American Saisons" and got little to do with the Belgian style exept the yeast.

Sounds nice. But I wonder why everyone seems to make these over the top saison recipes. Dupont is my favourite by far and I know that they only use pale malt, wheat syrup and hops, no spices, sugar or specialty malts, which is the classic way. I know a few brewers use hints of spice, but I feel that Saisons get most of the character from the yeast and don't need a kitchen sink recipe.

No offence to you, of course - beer is all about individual taste and that's what makes it so exiting. But I feel that these are really "American Saisons" and got little to do with the Belgian style exept the yeast.
+1, same with the hefes.

Back